Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Indexing: Wisconsin

I can cross indexing off my list of goals for today.  It felt good to get back to it.  After I do a batch, I feel like I was part of something really important, even though only me and the computer know it.  The people on this street--West McKinley--represent what I think was a very typical group of neighbors at this point in time.  I am fascinated by my thoughts when I get this snapshot into their lives.  What did they look like?  Did they have accents?  A lot of these people were from Czechoslovakia, Germany, Hungary.  Others were born right here in America.  I can imagine lots of row houses with so many different aromas coming from their kitchens in the evenings from all their respective countries of origin.

Employment:  hotel elevator operator.  Waitress. Laborers.  Machinist for a tractor manufacturing company.  Salesladies for dress shops and glass stores.  A 'choreman' for a private residence.  Road construction.  Hospital orderly.  Stenographer.  Tool and Die operator.  Packer for a lock company.  Punch Press operator.  Foreman.  Pipe fitter.  And an undertaker chauffeur.

No comments: