Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Whenever I Think About Pioneers....


Stay tuned. I haven't forgotten about Pioneer Day with all the wedding stuff going on!

The Primary song goes: "Whenever I think about pioneers, I think of brave women and men..."

I am grateful for the pioneers and their bravery, courage, dedication, testimony. My own family heritage is full of 'pioneers'. Some who crossed the plains for the gospel cause, and some who were pioneers in different ways. Coming to America in the early 1920's from Germany to have the gospel in it's fullness for their posterity yet unborn. Children going to the school honestly in the boundaries we live in and being pioneers when everyone else is 'stretching' the rules to go where they want and justifying it.

I am captivated by church history. I love the pioneer stories. One of the best books I ever read was "The Price They Paid". I often wonder how I would have done as a pioneer crossing the prairie and living in their circumstances. I guess we all live in the time the Lord knew would be best for us.

I remember going to Pioneer Day celebrations in Westchester with my grandparents. Oh, how I loved the homemade bread, the rides, the booths, the RS room all decorated with handmade goods for sale. The men all growing beards for a contest. The contagious festivness of a simpler time. I guess it's just in my blood!

No comments: