Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Back To School Night--YW Style!

Back To School Night Of Excellence!
Can I just say again, for I don't know how many times, that we have a great ward and a fabulous youth program. The RS room was simply but wonderfully decorated like a classroom. And everything the whole program was similar to a back to school night only with the students attending.
SO CLEVER!
Class is in session. They have stood to sing (for music time) the Opposites Song:
"When things aren't going exactly my way,
When I have feelings of total dismay.
I ponder the reason--this has to be,
And as I consider,
I can clearly see:
(Chorus)
Most things have an opposite.
Most things come in pairs.
And many times I can benefit if I do not despair...
Whoa---
Hot has Cold. Black has White.
Up has Down. Day has Night.
Life has Death. Good has Bad.
Young has Old. And Happy has Sad----
If I didn't know about bad, about cold,
Something of death and the sad and the old.
Then I wouldn't know about wrong and right,
And I wouldn't know the joy of good and light!"
(Repeat chorus.)

They had an elementary school picture of each girl on an apple cutout hanging from yellow yarn from the ceiling. And, the girls were asked to dress and wear their hair like they did when they were younger.
Great talk from Sister Koelliker, the president. And a 'matching game' on the chalkboard for a pop quiz! We matched candy bars to YW related phrases.

Then each table--remember how you would have to do things by table in school?--presented one of the projects they had accomplished this year. Christine worked on and completed Knowledge. She is currently working on Good Works and has her project planned, just needs to execute it.

After each girl gave their presentation their poster was placed on the 'bulletin boards' all over the 'classroom'. I wanted to get a picture of hers there, but she was too quick getting it down!

Items from her 'desk'.
Very timely closing remarks from the Bishop.
Loved it all. Great job everyone!

1 comment:

bBchronicles said...

great, great ideas ! I'll have to file this one away!