Today during President Eyring's talk I remembered one of the first experiences I had with prayer when I was a little girl.
I was in elememtary school. We lived in the same neighborhood as the school, but on the outskirts. My mom, being ever so protective, made us take the inside, longer route rather than down our street with one turn to be on the same street as the school. No we couldn't go down Anza, turn left onto Carson and walk down Carson to the school gate. We had to go from Anza to Lenore to Ladeene to Carmen to Talisman and go in that gate. Carson St. was a very large busy street and even though there was a service road separating it from the main lanes, my mom didn't want her precious babies taking that route. It would be too easy for a stranger to grab us, or a car to jump the barrier. Being a mom now, I understand.
While we were all friends, we were designated into two different groups: School side and 'across Carson' side. There was a large crosswalk going from the school gate all the way across Carson to the neighborhood on that side.
My mom agreed to babysit her friend's children while she went back to work. They lived 'across Carson'. One afternoon, we all arrived home and they weren't there. We couldn't find them. My mom--pretty worried by now--sent me back to the school to see if they were still there. Now this was a big deal, because my mom kept a close watch on us after school and we couldn't just go back to the school--not even to play--unless there was a very important reason and she was with us.
I took the safe route back. I didn't see them anywhere. I finally realized that I was going to have to go on the crosswalk without a crossing guard since it was after hours and she was already gone. I was really scared. I remember knowing immediately that I needed to say a prayer. I knelt down by Room 1 and looked around to see if anyone was looking, folded my arms, bowed my head, and prayed for safety as I crossed that street alone.
Standing up, I squared my shoulders, took a deep breath, looked both ways, and RAN all the way across that major street to the other side, SAFE! My heart was pounding with relief. I walked to their house on Marjorie and found them--they had forgotten which day it was there were supposed to come-- and we walked home to my house. Yes, we had to go 'across Carson' again, but at a different point where there was a 4 way stop which made it so much eaiser.
I can still see in my mind everything about saying that prayer. The afternoon light, the temperature of the air, the iceplant on the slopes lining the walkway to the gate. It was one of my first profound experiences with prayer. I knew that Heavenly Father heard and answered my little girl pleading about the simple crossing of a street.

No comments:
Post a Comment