Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Friday, April 30, 2010

Stadium Lights--And Did I Mention, Rude?

I am going to vent.  So be prepared.

We lost our lacrosse game tonight.  That is not the issue.  This was the absolute worst away game I have ever attended in any sport any of my kids have played in throughout the years.  The host school was rude, ignorant, unkind, rude, mean, rude, poor sports--even though they were winning by a lot--rude, cat callers, did I mention RUDE?

Lacrosse is a fairly new sport on the west coast.  So it is just coming into its own.  Some schools and their coaches have big heads to go along with their big egos.  Winning is everything to them so they quite often pull their varsity players down to play JV for the win instead of fielding an all JV team.  Their coach and parents were out of control.  Oh, and the announcer too.  Only called the home team.  No equal time for the visitors.  I sit in the booth each home game and run the scoreboard.  There are printed guidelines from the district on announcing addressing this very subject.

That all being said, Christine probably had the game of her life by her stats.  She blocked more slippery, tricky, fast shots on goal than ever before!  Direct shots on goal also.  But she came off the field in tears.  She had some 'words' with a ref after a goal because they clearly didn't call being in the crease and the refs comment was that the field lines were so poorly painted that he couldn't see it but he wasn't going to change his call.  WHAT? 

Well, Chris is learning life lessons and I don't have much affection anymore for the team by the beach.  I used to love it because it reminded me of where I grew up so close to the water.  When you get out of the car down there and take your first breath all the memories just flood to my mind in less than a blink.  But now they are soured.  Don't misunderstand:  I love a good competition.  And there has to be a winner and a loser.  I don't even mind being the loser if it's done cleanly and fairly and with respect from both sides.

Did I mention rude?

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh Cindy I know just how you feel we have always played a team from Pocatello called Highland they are the most ignorant bunch of students you can ever imagine and the parents well I don't have one nice thing to say about them. When Logan played football I was behind one of the mothers and she made a totally uncalled comment about one of our players well it just so happened to be my son she was talking smack about let me tell you I easily could have been arrested I lit into her like no other she made me so dang mad I was about to punch her good thing my friend was by my side it got pretty ugly. Needless to say, she went and sat somewhere else. Good Thing this girl is one you don't want to mess with especially when it comes to her kids.

Sigie said...

Good for you Leslie.
Love Auntie

Berta said...

I think you need to WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR and voice your opinion (ignorant teams newspaper) and let it all hang out! They do it up here all the time!