Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Stitches for Darla

Darla had to get 4 stitches in her head today.
This morning, I noticed her lavendar bow on the family room carpet.  Picked it up and put it on the kitchen island.  I didn't think much of it because after 2 weeks out from the groomer, it usually comes out.  She's been getting bows for 11 years.

Then she was sitting on Christine's lap and she turned to me and said, "Mom.  I think the bow rubberband is tangled up in Darla's hair."  I got up and went over to check it out, but it sure didn't look like or feel like a rubberband.  I went over and got the bow.  Nope--little pony tail still in tact on the lavender ribbon.  Hmmm.

Took her to the sink and let the warm water gently run over it while I finger-combed around it. I almost fainted.  She had a 1/2 inch slit cut across the top of her head.  Like if you were slicing the top off of an onion but you stop just short of cutting all the way through the slice and can peel it back.  Or like if you butterfly a chicken breast.  I knew immediately that we were going to the vet.

At first he thought it might be 'bow' related.  He said vets hate, hate, hate when groomers put bows in small dogs.  They cause all kinds of problems.  But after he stitched her up he said it was definitely a 'trauma' injury.  Does she like to get under things.  Well, yes.  The couches, the beds, bushes.  He thinks she got under something, decided to back out and sliced her head on the way out.

They had to trim all the hair away, scrub it out (shiver with chills...), and stitch it up. She has 3 different meds, and a steroid cream.  They told me to go run errands while they worked on her.  I got the car washed and went to Lowe's.  My roses need some 'food', and I got a new owl to put up in the garden so the birds stay out of picking on the tomatoes.  She was one happy puppy when I got back.  And now she is home and being pampered.

Poor baby.

1 comment:

Lisa Tucker said...

Poor Darla! We said a prayer for a speady recovering for her. Give her a kiss for us.