Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Road To Hannah

I cleaned and cleaned and got the cabin ready to close up till we come again.
I packed the car on Friday night.
Saturday morning, I picked up Christine at 7am from EFY in Provo.
We drove to the Wilk to see if anyone had turned in her phone.
No one had.  She lost it at the dance the night before.
 
We went to pick up a blanket I had hemstitched and then to Kneaders for some french toast breakfast to go.  It is our tradition.
 
We were on the highway by 8am.
Natalie and Robert had already gone to the hospital for her induction at 6.
I was a little nervous doing this drive.
I've only gone from Utah to Arizona once and that was when the kids graduated and moved to Phoenix and we helped them.  Now I was doing it on my own and Christine was sound asleep for hours.  You don't sleep much at EFY.
 
We got to the 20 and I turned off.
Deep breath.  Here we go.
This is such a beautiful drive.  It doesn't seem as long as the straight 15, even though it is.  It is windy and green with lots of farms and ranches and lakes and streams and groves of trees.
We stopped to take some pictures along the way when we saw some gorgeous vistas.  Who knows if we will ever drive this route again? 
 
 Can't remember where this is, but it's a turn off somewhere after you climb a lot of elevation.
All of a sudden we looked back, and went WOW.
 
We also stopped in Jacob Lake and got some cookies from their bakery. Our first favorite was the Cookie in a Cloud.  I hope to replicate it.  Next favorite was the Chocolate Truffle.  Yum.  Then the Chocolate Chip and Lemon Sugar Cookies.  Our least favorite was the Lemon Poppyseed Zuchinni. It is such a small quaint little town up high in the mountains.
 
I only had one zingy moment.  When we came across a bridge suddenly over the Colorado River.  It was so breathtaking everyone slowed down to idle over it and that kind of freaked me out.  I realized I was holding my breath and had to tell myself to breathe.  Christine laughed.
 
I will admit to driving way too fast but we were trying to make it there for the baby.  She had her own time table in mind and was born at 3:03 pm right when we were getting some lunch in Flagstaff.  The phone rang at 3:20 and it was Natalie telling us she was here!  Nats sounded great and everything went fast and well.
 
Chris and I got to my parents, picked up John and went to the hospital to meet the newest member of our family!


No comments: