All the meetings were good. But for me, the 'moment' was during the congregational hymn between the 2 high council speakers. We were singing How Firm A Foundation. I have always loved that hymn. When I was pre-teen and my parents could no longer afford to pay for piano lessons, I would practice the hymns. This was one that was written in the key of E-flat which for me is an easy key to play in. I would pretend that I was the accompianist, and play it over and over until it was perfect. I had memorized the verses early on. So today I didn't need the hymnbook. The chorister had us stand, which we normally don't do, and I liked that touch. When we got to the 3rd verse, she and I locked eyes and smiled to each other. We've served together in many callings, she's been my visiting teacher, and we've had similar challenges with kids. We've shared some pretty enlarging experiences with each other. It was during the 3rd verse, and I got this pounding in my heart and a physical tingling all over. Aka: the Holy Ghost testifying!
Fear Not! I am with thee,
Oh be not dismayed.
For I am
Thy God
And will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee
Help thee
And cause thee to stand
Upheld
By My righteous, omnipotent hand!
When I read/sing these words with personal emphasis they touch me deeply. That did it for me today.
[I had to leave RS early to take Ruth to her parenting class in Lake Forest. Christine wanted to go with me so she could help take care of baby Gabriel. So I pulled her from the last part of YW. Selfishly I wanted that time with her giving service together. I wanted her to be a part of it. She is good with babies. As it turned out, Gabriel fell asleep on the drive over, so we ended up just sitting with him in the car while Ruth went in. He slept the whole hour and a half. So luckily I had my conference Ensign in my RS bag and did some reading. Christine kept an eye on the baby and listened to some music. I enjoyed the quiet time, she got a little bored toward the end. It generated some good discussion on service. Sometimes it's not the 'grand' thing. Sometimes it can be sacrificial, boring, inconvenient for the giver. BUT oh so large to the recipient. This is God's lesson.]
2 comments:
Oh Cindy! So sweet of you and Christine to devote an hour and a half to do something for this mother. It sounds like she may have it rough, but so lucky to have you in her life to help.
Love ya!
Don't you just love Sundays where you truly "get it?"
Hey, when's the February food storage stuff coming? I'm missin' it!!! :)
Post a Comment