Darla had a check up today.
She was 11 on her last birthday in June.
She's been drinking like crazy, licks all the time, etc. A friend told me dogs can get diabetes as they get older and those are some of the signs. So I made her appointment. It was overdue anyway.
Well, it turns out she is healthy as can be. But not her teeth. She needs another cleaning. WHAT? Do you know how much those cost? $300! Yes! More than mine! Hello--she is a d.o.g. A very 'loved' one at that, but still you know.
From what I learned, bad canine oral health leads to the bermuda triangle in doggies: it effects the heart, kidneys and liver. Who knew? And then they die from it. And little dogs prefer soft toys, treats, instead of chew toys and big bones. Little dogs also do not have a waxy coating on their teeth like bigger breeds do that sluffs away the plaque and tarter. Hey, I feed her dry kibble, 2 milk bones a day. I thought that would do the trick. It doesn't. I tried brushing her teeth. I'm not good at it and she doesn't cooperate, but looks like I'll start trying that again. From her blood-work, her kidney enzymes were up a tad. But Dr. Norm is confident it is because of the bacteria in her mouth. And her other symptoms are because her animal instincts are trying to rid her body of the taste and smell of the bacteria. Interesting, huh.
So tomorrow morning first thing she goes in under the anesthesia.
No comments:
Post a Comment