What a wonderful day.
I remember the days when I was a younger mother and Mother's Days were not so wonderful. Haha! You know. The days where you need a break from everything and your expectations are rarely met. For some reason all the kids are more difficult, there are still un-made beds and dirty dishes and no one behaves in church. Then it's supposed to all be made right when they go up to sing the Mother I Love You song. And then you stand to receive your chocolates or tomato plant or geranium that always dies.
I clearly recall the day when those expectations changed for me. It was in Westminster. In the south foyer on the couch next to the Bishop's office. Shaun was a toddler. Nothing had gone right that morning except for the breakfast in bed that Duff made and had the kids bring to me. All I wanted to do was go back to sleep for a while, but needed to get up and rally the troops to get ready for church.
I was having a pity party walking the halls during sacrament meeting when it dawned on me that this was the very essence of motherhood. It was what I had dreamt about, planned for, and wanted my whole life. I didn't need to change Mother's Day. Mother's Day needed to change me. That lightbulb moment changed Mother's Day for me. Now I have very few expectations and enjoy the day.
We had such a delicious dinner.
Steak, baked potatoes, Mamo's mushroom gravy, and a huge platter of oven-roasted vegetables. Mike made some shrimp appetizers.
Ainsley sat in the bouncer next to us. She was a happy little gal.
Just LOOK at those vegetables.
Carrots, asparagus, onions and mushrooms.
A little olive oil, salt and pepper, and some red pepper flakes--just a pinch--toss together and roast for 45 minutes on a baking sheet.
We girls went for a walk down to the Dove Lake and around the tennis courts with Ainsley and Gidget while the guys stayed home and did the dishes and cleaned the kitchen.
This was my choice for dessert.
Devils Food cake, whipped cream and sliced strawberries. It gave the perfect combination of each flavor and was suprisingly light and refreshing. It was a big hit. I saw it on the Mad Hungry show.
Ainsley had her bath and had quite a long conversation with Auntie Christine.
The cute bug oohed, aaahed, and cooed away. Meredith fed her and she went to sleep. Then we gathered around the table and played Dominoes.
I got some beautiful earrings from Christine and Duff, and some new rubbermaid containers for leftovers from Mike and Adrianne and Josh and Mere. Also an adorable book all about Ainsley that Mere made on Shutterfly. I talked to my mom and Natalie too. John called and left me a message on the answer machine: "Hi, Gramma Cindy! Happy Mother's Day. I LOOOOOVE you!" I'm never going to erase it.
What a GREAT day!
No comments:
Post a Comment