Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Regular Time vs. Day Light Saving Time and Dinner


I am finding that as I'm getting a little 'older' I don't do as well when the time changes. I kind of wish we would be like Arizona and Hawaii and just pick a schedule and stay on it! This has really been an adjustment this time around.
As I was going on my walk yesterday, I noticed that it got dark earlier than the week before, and suddenly I realized lights were on in the homes and I could smell dinner cooking in many of them. It was gratifying to see moms in kitchens making dinner. Funny thing, I've walked this route for months, and not until the time changed have I ever noticed cooking aromas coming from the houses. Definitely due to the time change, I think. Maybe it has to do with the sun going down. I decided I would play a game with myself and see if I could guess what might be on their tables by what I was smelling.
I recognized hot dogs, grilling hamburgers, something BBQ sauce, and on quite a few streets-- Italian! The garlic was heavenly. I imagined pasta with sauce, garlic bread, and a big green salad. I could also smell potatoes baking and thought of all the wonderful combinations that could go with that favorite food.
Probably the 'thing' that struck me most, was the thought of food cooking in kitchens, and families sitting down at the dinner table. So 'Leave It To Beaver'. I grew up with this tradition and have done the same, for the most part, with my own family. There is just something satisfying and bonding with food from your kitchen and a set table, doing the dishes, conversation. It doesn't have to be gourmet, just a simple, real, good, balanced meal. It says: We're HOME, I'm SAFE, I'm LOVED, I BELONG, I'm part of a FAMILY (whether it's 1,2 or 10).
It makes all the difference in the world!

1 comment:

Berta said...

Totally agree on that one. Half of the world's 'ills' would be taken care of if FAMILIES would just sit down to meals together. Simplistic but it works!