
Hi Family! A new month is here and it's time for the next step of emergency preparedness, food storage, provident living, follow the prophet's counsel, etc.!
--------------->--------------->------------------->--------------->
This month's emphasis is WATER & DRINKS. Check out the sidebar with the new information. Again, it is broken down by each week of the month and this is very reasonable and do-able. If you are not in a place where you can have a 55 gallon water storage drum, use week 2 to look into and purchase either:
--------------->--------------->------------------->--------------->
This month's emphasis is WATER & DRINKS. Check out the sidebar with the new information. Again, it is broken down by each week of the month and this is very reasonable and do-able. If you are not in a place where you can have a 55 gallon water storage drum, use week 2 to look into and purchase either:
- a 15 gallon drum, OR
two 2 packs of 2 1/2 gallons from Costco.
With the economy the way it is and the job insecurity we have been seeing, rising gas prices, let's re-evaluate our priorities and set aside even the very smallest we can do to be prepared. If we do our part, the Lord will help us.
Love, Mom and Dad
p.s. I've just checked the Albertson's adds for this week and they have apple juice, gatorade, and water all on SALE this week. It's okay if you rearrange the weeks. You can do it!!!!
3 comments:
Cindy, I love that you're encouraging your family to get their food storage! I wish my dad was more consumed with leading our family this way than with some of the other things he focuses on recently. May I offer some words of wisdom regarding water storage (I used to be the food storage leader in our ward)? Do not store water containers directly on the ground. They should be elevated off of the concrete so they can "breathe." Be cautious in storing the 2-1/2 gallon water containers from Costco, Sam's, the grocery store, etc. The plastic they are made of is meant to break down quickly and you may think you are storing water, but it's actually quickly seeping out and disappearing. Buy a nice little supply, then begin using it. Each week, monitor how many you've used and then during your weekly shopping trip, replace them. Be sure to take from the oldest first (like everything with food storage). I hope that will help save some frustration for your family that many other people have experienced (including myself!).
Great information. Thank you. I only use the 2 1/2 gallon from Costco for under the stairs storage in my house and date and rotate them out every 9 months. These are for in case we have to leave quickly. I didn't realize about elevating the drums. I'm glad to know that. What is best: pallets, bricks, ???
We prefer to use 2x4s. They are sturdy enough to hold the weight of the full 55 gallon barrel. Bricks are just like putting it on concrete, so although you'll get air underneath, it could absorb the "smell" of the brick/concrete. Pallets are too big usually for the normal person's garage and they aren't as sturdy as the 2x4s. I usually use 3 2x4s that are about 4-6 inches longer than the depth of the barrel (front to back). We store ours standing up due to lack of space in the garage and since if something were to happen, both of us could work together to tip it onto its side. By using 3 pieces, we support most of each side as well as the middle.
Post a Comment