IT'S not fair. It's NOT fair. It's not FAIR. Cancer. It's not fair.
When Duff and I were done at social services this morning, we headed over to see Heather. She has been moved from the hospital to a skilled care facility, close to the hospital, so she can have some occupational and physical therapy to get stronger to go home. She has done pretty good since the surgery she had 10 days ago to remove 2 of the 10 tumors in her brain that were putting so much pressure on her ability to move and have the use of her limbs. This began as breast cancer 2 1/2 years ago. How can it do this to the rest of her body? It's not fair.
When we walked in she immediately recognized us and put her arms out to me. I hugged her and kissed her forehead, and she cried. I wiped the tears away with my fingers. She didn't let go of my hand for a long time. She was really good today. She communicated well, talked and carried on a conversation, laughed. You know when we come with Duff there is always laughter! We had a good visit with Scott (her husband) who had a couple of hours for his lunch hour from work, and Uncle Fred who was standing vigil today while Auntie Coy was at the house with Heather's kids. She is completely losing all her hair again, but her color looked good and she hasn't lost her beautiful Heather smile. She has one of the biggest, prettiest smiles. Some friends from church had come by and gave her a manicure and a pedicure. She was stylin'.
Her good friend from their ward, Carly, came by. What a sweet gal. What a GOOD FRIEND. I loved that she brought Heather a little boom-box and a Rocky cd to play when the physical therapist comes in for her workout! How cute is that?!
Then Eric (one of her brothers) came by too! Reunion day at Heather's! Of course tons more laughter now! When you get dad and Eric together, watch out! We had to get on the road by 3:15 to get home in time to pick up the carpool. We will go back later in the week and we are all crossing our fingers and praying that she can soon go home to her own bed!
All that being said, all I could think of the whole way home was how this was soooooo not fair. You know how there are 'good' people? And then there are 'GOOD' people? Well, Heather is one of those 'GOOD' people. It's not fair.
I just had to vent.
3 comments:
Way beyond my ability to understand/comprehend, however, when apostles/prophets experience these challenges they say it brings them closer to Christ (weren't they already there?) yet they recognize it as a blessing and they say there is something they need to learn (don't they know it all)? The REFINERS FIRE is a pretty 'hot' place to be yet Christ alone knows her every pain equisitely (sp?) and He is walking very close by her side, without a doubt. We ALL have something to learn from this precious woman. GOD BLESS her during this exhausting test called mortality.
I can feel for Heather. I just saw one the sister's in our Ward a week ago when I visited with her at the Hospic Care Center before she passed away from cancer this past Sunday moring at 10:49. She had cancer through out her whole body, that started 4 years ago. She has left 5 children and a husband and has returned to our Father in Heaven.
When I think back how Auntie Helen was with her cancer, I think that is the worst desease anyone can suffer from.
I pray for Heather everyday, in fact I think all of us here in Arizona that know her have been praying for her. She is such a sweet and beautiful person and I have asked myself many times,why her. So glad that you and Duff went to see her.
Love Mom
life isn't fair, haven't you learned this already
Post a Comment