Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Friday, December 14, 2007

Shopping


I've been shopping at the mall today getting pretty much the last of my Christmas shopping done. It was my first and only trip to the mall for Christmas shopping this season. I was so excited to go simply because it means the end is near. I had my list all done--exactly what I needed from each store and for each person left. I already knew where I was going to park and everything. By the east Macy's. The bulk of what was on my list was for Macy's shopping. They are having a huge sale, and I had an additional 20% off card on top of the sale price. I decided to go to the men's department first. Down the escalator and to my horror--no men's department. I was headed straight for the lingerie department. When did that change? I didn't recognize anything! I thought perhaps I was having a 'senior moment', even though I'm not quite a 'senior'.
I walked up to an employee and asked where the men's department was now. She kind of snickered and told me that it was in the 'other' Macy's store on the north side of the mall. My Christmas Cheer shopping mood of a couple of days ago turned stinkin'. In a flash my whole shopping plan was derailed. Not only did I not recognize a thing in this Macy's store, now I had to walk down half of the LARGE mall and go to the north store. But I needed things from both stores. Arrggghh. When I got to the north store I had no clue where things were either.
I AM NOT A SHOPPER. I know this about myself, and so does my family. I'm not really a window-shopper. I usually never go shopping unless I need something and then I go and get the thing I need and come home. It is rare when I just shop to check things out. Maybe it comes from the fact that I grew up having to be very frugal and had to live that way most of my adult life too until the last few years. Even now, I just have a hard time spending money! When Lisa went with me to buy quilts for the beds in the loft at the cabin, I started feeling sick to my stomach in the store and had to sit down on a chair and get a drink of water. She was laughing so hard at me. It wasn't that I couldn't pay for them, I just couldn't wrap my mind around getting them all at once. I don't know--it's hard to explain.
When Macy's bought out Robinson's May, our mall ended up having two large anchor stores of the same company. So they have now made one for women and one for men/housewares. (kind of odd that they would have housewares with the men instead of the women...) I guess the biggest surprise was when I asked when did they make the change and the employee told me September 1st! See--I told you--I don't shop!
I got some very good deals. A 'main gift' for one of the kids was regularly $200. With the sale price and my additional 20% off, I walked out the door with it for $93.10! I was pretty pleased! Even though I kept having to walk back and forth between both stores. At least I got my exercise in today!
Whew--------------------------

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Okay...I came to check out your blog & it's WAY better than mine! How fun for your family. I hope my family will use ours. It seems like such a great way to keep up on life. I will keep checking in. Thanks for your comments on my blog.
Love,
Jamie

Cindy said...

Thanks, Jamie. I use it primarily for a journal because I'm not good at journal keeping at all, and then for the family. I've added you to my blogger list. I'll check in with you too!

Love, Cindy