
My dear family that I LOVE!--
As most of us have learned, we had a young man in our ward who needed to come home from the MTC recently. Shaun called me on Thursday evening and during our conversation this situation came up. He asked if people had 'talked' about him the way he has heard others talk about this young man. Sadly and hesitantly I answered that it had sometimes been so.
We talked for quite a while about why this happens. I truly believe that people have good hearts and want to be supportive, but don't know how. Either they have never been touched by adversity YET, or it hasn't been a significant trial YET, or they have forgotten the lessons learned when they did experience them. Often after we go through a refiners fire and come out the other side, it can be easy to slip back into old patterns if we haven't truly learned them.
Another explanation I have found is that fear motivates 'talking'. If it can happen to good people like Shaun/our family and this young man and his good family, then it makes the possibility of it happening to them real. So they have to 'talk' about it with others to perhaps discover what 'happened' so they can 'fix' it so it won't happen to them.
Family: Let's remember what we have learned from our experience! This young man and his family need us to put our arms around them and LOVE them, be there for them, shepherd them through the coming weeks and months, be a shoulder to cry on and have a listening ear. They need our prayers, hugs, smiles, support. They need to know that we are there for them with no judgement.
I was really proud of Shaun with how he handled some of the situations he found himself in with some of the kids up at school and how they are discussing this. He would not participate in the gossip. He let them know that it was none of anybody's business except this young man, his family, his doctors, and his priesthood leaders. In every case, the conversations stopped.
I am reminded of the hymn, Lord I Would Follow Thee.
Who am I to judge another
When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden
Sorrows that the eye can't see.
I would be my brother's keeper
I would learn the healer's art.
To the wounded and the weary
I would show a gentle heart.
Lord, I would follow Thee!
So, let's not forget what we've learned, and let us not fear! If we "are prepared, we shall not fear". Dad and I are so grateful that during our 'tough times' we (each of us) had the testimony of where to turn and who to turn to. That knowledge is what continues to get us all 'through'! It's never easy, but we can make it!
We sure do love each one of you and are working hard to do our part so our family can be together forever!
Love, MOM
3 comments:
I am so happy that you posted this. I always feel so insecure when I go back into my mom and dad's ward because I can almost feel the judgemental eyes on my back. It's good to know that at least you and your family, as well as mine will still love me even though I haven't been perfect. It is important for all of us to remember to be like Christ and not judge one another, but to love one another. It's not up to us to decide who is "good" or "bad", but it is our duty to treat others the way that we would want to be treated. Christ said to love one another. He who is without sin, may cast the first stone. Lot's of Love.
Meg
Megan--You are so dear! NONE of us are perfect. If everyone's weaknesses were 'visible' it would be quite a picture! Some people just like to hide theirs behind a perfect facade. The important thing is to keep trying and go forward. I love you and believe in you. It will all work out!
Post a Comment