Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What To Do?

I need some input.

I am cleaning out rooms, closets, drawers, etc. Purging, straightening, cleaning. I don't know what it is about fall that makes me do this, but every year at this time I get itchy to do it. It makes me feel good.

Okay, here is my dilemma: Christine has a tall bookcase in her room. It has been the bookcase for years for all the 'family books'. All the little Golden books, Dr. Suess books, Magic Treehouse, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Goosebumps, etc. and now she has been cramming her library in it. So I've decided to make it truly hers now.

So what do I do with all the books? I have already packed away the Nancy Drew, MTreehouse, Goosebumps, Hardy Boys for the cabin. I don't have any grandchildren -yet- but looking toward that time should I pack them all away? give them away? throw them away? donate? and just get new when the babies arrive?

Let me hear from you grandma's out there and you mother's who bring your children to grandma's. What works for you? How do you set it up? etc.

Thanks, and hurry! I have books all over the place waiting for me to figure it out!

8 comments:

clinton vinson said...

put them in the cabin and save them for the grandkids they will be happy to have them one day. i still have my childhood books. clint

Berta said...

The thing you have to ask yourself . . . the 'babies' aren't here yet and it may be sometime - then they have to grow up to read them. So, I would pick out the books that mean the most to you, box them up and store them in a safe place especially if they're not being touched much. I found clearing away those types of things gives me a feeling of space and freedom - no clutter. Plus, there are kids out there that would LOVE to have a 'new' book - so I would give them to DI or if you want to make extra $$$ sell them on Craig's list???!!! But, that's just 'me' talking.

Jodi said...

okay save the favorite story books, some dr. suess books are hard to get. Ari has a favorite one and it ripped and i tried to buy a new one and most book store only carrie some of the dr. suess books and you have to order the set to get others. I don't need the set just the 1 book. So after saving the favorite ones when you have a baby the hospital sends you home with packets of papers and one is to sign up for dr. suess and other favorite books kinda like a book club where you get one a week or monthly. You could just sign up for the grandkid and get them new books then. Hope this helps. That is how we got this unusally dr. suess book and i have to buy all 16 to just get the one book

Natalie said...

take them to the cabin!!!! I still remember those books :)

Leslie said...

What's the sense of cleaning and decluttering if you are just going to store it somewhere else. That's what Denise says, I think I'll save it for the grandkids. Well now that she has some, they don't want it. You should see their bonus room. I'm with Roberta, freedom girl, let a few things go.

Lindsey and Ben said...

I would pick your favorites out and some of your kids' favorites and keep them! Avery loves to go to the bookcase and read books with all of us when we go over there. Don't keep all of them though- maybe give some to your own children before throwing away so they have some when they have kids!

Deidre said...

I would save some if not all. My Mom gave us a box of books that we love. It was a bit painful for her too keep them but we were glad. She even saved a few favorite toys--so did my mother-in-law. I don't think you'll be too sorry. Do you want to come and finish all the moving odds and ends at our house that are driving me nuts? :)

Nic said...

i would keep them. if you don't take them to the cabin you can divide them between your kids and who's books were who's. they may have special memories of them all.