Today we were up bright and early to go to the Honeyville Grain Store.
I was very impressed. We went to the one in Arizona, but I 'borrowed' these pictures from a preparedness blog and they are from the store in Rancho Cucumonga, California. Either way, it is pretty much the same except that the store in Cali seems to be a bit bigger.
I got some bananas, peaches, GRAPES, (probably my favorite. They were amazing even w/o being reconstituted), green onions, sausage, beef chunks, broccoli, and corn. I must tell you: the broccoli and corn were like having fresh. I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen and tasted it myself.
They helped all of us--Me, Mom, Lisa, and Kristin--load up our cars. We headed over to check out the Cracker Barrel store (lots of fun things but we just looked), and then to Der Weinerschnitzel for a hot dog. Grandma, Auntie, and I ate in the car and reminiscsed about Torrance days when we would go to the one up on the corner of Anza and Torrance Blvd. It was just like the song from Chicago: Old Days. Good Times I Remember....All we needed was the breeze blowing off the ocean!
Auntie had a coughing attack from her allergies and sinus infection so we made a brief stop at her house so she could medicate and then went with her to Costco and Fry's. I wish our Costco was this close to our house! They just pop in for one or two things if they want to.
Lisa made a great corned beef and cabbage dinner with all the trimmings. Duff and Craig went and picked up Josh, Meredith, and Christine from the airport, and Darla was wiggling all over with delight that most of her family was there. We were missing Shaun, Mike and Adrianne.
Funny note: When Duff and I were driving out on Friday, he asked me what all the fuss about going to Honeyville was about. "Cindy, we don't need one more craft or decoration thing. You've been throwing things away, remember?" "What do you mean?", I asked him. "Just what is this Honeyville place?" he said. "It's a food storage store." I informed. "OH! I thought it was like a Willow Manor!" (the local gift/accessory/specialty shop), he exclaimed, relieved. We had a good laugh!
Hahahahahaha!
3 comments:
Sounds like the trip was lots of fun. Your recollection reminded of when I worked at the Anza/Torrance DW in high school. It was actually a pretty fun job, for fast food. Nothing like those brats they used to serve there. Personally, I don't think the food is nearly as good in the DW chain as it was in the 70's. I think when they went under reorganization in the 80's or 90's the cost-cutting on the food reduced the quality (or at least the flavor). Anyway, lots of fun remembering!
Wayne
how fun! I remember going to that same Der Wen with your mom and Lisa when I would come out to CA! Glad you guys got to have a fun girls afternoon-and it wasn't at the craft store either!
I hope you ate one for me! Oh how I miss not having Der Weinerschnitzel here in RI. My mouth is watering!
Post a Comment