In 1982, our next door neighbors in Santa Ana, Rodger and Barbara Wyman, had a yard sale. We were really poor having recently graduated from college and buying our first house. I was doing in-home daycare to make ends meet and had two little boys of my own. I had one pair of shoes--flip flops--that I wore for and to everything. Our house payment took our whole two-week paycheck and then some of the next. Obviously, we were on a tight budget. I mosied on over across the grass to their driveway and perused the items on the folding tables. I found this darling round granite-ware roaster. It was 99 cents. I counted out my coin and went home with my treasured purchase. It was the perfect size to roast a whole chicken. From that time on it was always referred to as the 'roast chicken pan'. About 6 months ago we had to put it in the trash. It was finally worn out.
While in AZ, we went to the Honeyville store, and there on a shelf of new products was the same kind of darling round roaster! So I put it in the cart and made my purchase. It was $12.95 now instead of my yard sale price, but I came home with it just as excited and proud as my first acquisition.
Roast chicken is back, better than ever! (I don't know why, but this pan just makes the best roast chicken ever.)

2 comments:
I love a roast chicken and a white speckel pan. Criags mom as one that I have and today I cooked a roast chicken in it. You are right there is something about a roast chicken in that kind of a pan.
What a sweet story!
Post a Comment