Pampering day for me! First a haircut and then a pedicure. The scalp massage at the shampoo bowl was wonderful. So relaxing. When you leave you feel so good because you look great. Why is it I can never duplicate that same blow-out at home? I'm not really into manicures--I'm too busy with my hands, but a good pedicure is soooo nice. Smooth feet, nice nails, polish.
Christine is wanting a cell phone. She doesn't have one because we don't think she needs one and when we need her to have one then she will. That being said, she consistently makes her case for one. Yesterday she 'announced' to me that when she gets one she wants a picture phone with unlimited texting! So as a good mom I wanted to know all the reasons she would need a camera phone and why would she need 'unlimited' texting. She said, "To talk to my friends." I said, "Isn't that what you would use the phone for and the phone at home?" Of course I was promptly reminded that I am a prehistoric, resurrected dinosaur and know nothing of today's modern world. So we were driving in the car to soccer and gently (I thought) inserted into the conversation the reasons why those features were not the best for a young teen's first cell phone. She got out of the car and slammed the door.
She brought the subject up at the dinnertable. We patiently listened to and acknoweldged all her reasons. Duff looked at me with that look that asks: Is there anything I should know about this before I answer? The one that communicates volumes and opens up 'parental mind reading' between each other. I raised the ever so slight eyebrow only obvious to each other after 30 years of marriage. Then he so benignly said in between bites, "Well, Chris. We'll just have to see what our plan covers. It may not even cover that." She was like, "Oh. Okay. I didn't think about that." There it was: the simplest of answers that satisfied. Did the 'plan' cover it!
So after the slammed car door, no conversation on the way home from soccer, and walking 10 feet in back of me, I was reminded that the most simple answer is the best way to start!
( After dinner I had a Scout Committee Meeting for 2 hours. Got a lot done. It's interesting--a Primary President has both feet in scouting. Cubbing on the Primary side, and Boy Scouting because of the 11year old boys who still fall under the Primary, but are part of the troop. So I sit on both committees. The Church Handbook of Instructions is very clear why they have adopted scouting. It is the technical side of helping boys prepare for, and worthily receive the Aaronic Priesthood. The end result is character, building testimonies, applying gospel instruction received on Sunday in everyday life situations, and honoring parents. If we remember that, the program will include every boy at every level. And they thought it was all about the campouts, hikes, and merit badges! [please read that last sentence with 'wit']
When I got home at 10pm, Adrianne had already left, but not before making a pound cake while I was gone. Just the boxed kind, but so delicious. Nice little treat to come home to. Is she great or what!)
No comments:
Post a Comment