Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Questionaire

Wrapping paper or Gift Bags? Both! I love the combination of how they look under the tree, and sometimes a gift bag is just easier and fits better for the item.

Real tree or artificial? My first preference is a real tree. Noble fir. There's just nothing like it! The cold trip to pick it out, bringing it in the house. The smell. But as I'm getting 'older' I think I'm going to invest in an artificial one that is pre-lit, and Gold Canyon has a great candle that has the best pine frangrance one might never know!

When do you put up your tree? The first Saturday in December.

When do you take the tree down? That depends on how dry it is. Last year we took it down the day after Christmas because we were leaving town. But usually the weekend after New Years so it can be picked up by the tree recycler on Monday. They chip it into mulch. Good stuff!

Do you like egg nog? Yes. I prefer a lighter version though. I can't remember the holidays without it. We once had a babysitter who would drink it all when he would tend for us!

Favorite gift received as a child: Hmmm. My Chatty-Cathy doll, and a pink and black dress.

Do you have a nativity scene? Yes. The one I grew up with as a child. My mom got a new one and gave this one to me YEARS ago. It is very old and rustic-ish. I set it up on my dining room table on a beautiful German tablecloth with candles at various heights all around it. I use it as my centerpiece as well for dinner. It is the reminder of WHY we are celebrating. It's quite the contrast: the simple nativity scene with the elegant table setting. The symbolism works for me--a humble beginning leads us to a glorious eternity.

Who is the hardest person to buy for? No one. I usually always have an idea.

Who is the easiest person to buy for? Christine.

Worst Christmas present I ever received? None. I just like being thought of.

Mail or email Christmas cards? Definitely mail. I love opening them. I put them all on our pantry door and when that is full, on to the frig, etc. I call it my Christmas wallpaper!

Favorite Christmas movie: It's A Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street (old and new), A Christmas Carol (with Albert Finney). I really love all Christmas movies, but those old classics truly are my favorite.

When do you start shopping for Christmas? Old habit: not until after Thanksgiving, which leads to stressssssss, headaches, tummy issues, etc. New habit: (this year in fact!) In September. Yes, and it has been MUCH improved this year. Just a few more things I'm tying up today, but otherwise I AM DONE and I can enjoy the next 3 days. Next year hopefully I'll be even better.

Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes. It was a hostess gift given to me for hosting a party here at my house. A box of candy that I never opened and Christine needed a gift for a gift exchange and I didn't have any time to go get one. So she took that. But otherwise NO.

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas: How about all of it! Prime rib, potatoes, homemade rolls, homemade jam, toffee, See's nuts and chews, French Dip sandwiches with left-over prime rib, English tifle, vanilla bean cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory, cream cheese brownies, lemon bars, magic-cookie bars, sugar cookies, Christmas tree butter cookies, shrimp, stuffed mushrooms, onion and garlic haricot vert (green beans!), Sarah's salad, vege platter, streusel kuchen, my mom's almond danish, I could go on, but I think that about covers it!

Clear or colored lights on the tree? Definitely clear!

Favorite Christmas Song? I don't have one. I love them all. If I HAVE to pick, Silent Night.

Travel at Christmas or stay home? Well on Christmas day we stay home. But we travel to the cabin for the New Year.

Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yes.

Tree top: Angel or Star? Angel

Open presents Christmas Eve or Morning? Santa visits every year on Christmas Eve after we have dinner and we each get one thing from his bag. Then the rest in the morning.

Most annoying thing about this time of year: Not enough time!

Do you decorate your tree in a theme? Yes, we call it our family history tree. It has ornaments that tell the story of our family for the last 31 years. We can recall who, what, when, where, why for every ornament. So I guess you could call it hodge-podge, but I call it family history!

What do you leave for Santa? Cookies and milk, and of course a carrot for Rudolph!

Favorite thing about Christmas: Everything! My family. The Savior. I think the traditions and quiet moments. Hot chocolate and a fire in the fireplace with all the lights off except for the trees, mantle, and candles. Our family 'program' on Christmas Eve. We read the story from Luke, Duff and I bear our testimonies, and then the kids do too. Then we watch the video Mary Did You Know? about 3-4 times (it's short) and when the Muaina's are here, Sue and I cry and our kids roll their eyes and giggle at us while they pass the tissues to us. Then we kneel and have a family prayer.

Okay--Now it's your turn! Roberta (and family), Meredith, Megan, Shaun, Natalie, Gwen, etc.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

What "Mary Did You Know" video are you referring to?

Cindy said...

It was made by a sister in my ward years ago for a RS Christmas Enrichment night. She put slides to the song sung by Donny Osmond. It is great, and I asked if she would make me a copy, she did, and I showed it to my family on Christmas Eve and we have done it for years now ever since.

Berta said...

HOLY "very long assignment" COW! I've already got a house full with more showing up today - BUT, I'll squeeze it in some how, some time! I think it's FUN - anything FUN . . . I find time for!
Luv ya!