
This is the logo for the Rose Parade in Pasadena, California. When I was a little girl, we often went to my Auntie Helen's house right off of Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena. We would stand on her balcony which was on the front side of her old home and could see the parade. Auntie Helen is my Grandma Myrna's oldest sister. She was married to Uncle Charles, who loved his cigars. They were very traditionally classy. I remember needing to dress up when we went to their home. I had my first piece of Strawberry/Rhubarb pie there and loved it! Auntie Helen told me I would!
The parade is as old as time! The first one was January 1, 1890. It is always on January 1st, unless that is a Sunday and then it is held the next day on Monday, January 2nd.
They startedthis because they were afraid the horses at the local churches would get spooked. Fortunately, they still hold to this policy! The floats have to be made out of all kinds of living things. Flowers, seeds, grains, etc. It follows the same route every year. After the parade, the floats are on display for 2 days for the public to come and see them. They are amazing.
My high school band was chosen to march in the parade. It is a great honor to be able to be a part of the parade.

Next on the days agenda is the Rose Bowl game. It is the two teams that are the winners of the PAC 10 and the BIG 10 and they play against each other. This year it is USC and Illinois. My family is divided on who should win this year! When I was a youth, I participated in all the Dance Festivals the church ever had and we always performed in the Rose Bowl to sell out crowds. I have really fond memories of this football stadium!

New Years wouldn't be complete without Martinelli's! We ice it up and give a toast to a great New Year ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment