Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Friday, October 22, 2010

Swiss Steak

Since I mentioned that I was going to be making Swiss Steak for dinner last week, I've had some requests for the recipe.  I am  happy to share!  It is amazingly  y-u-m-m-y and some great comfort food.  Here is the recipe from an earlier post.  I made it in my heavy le cruset pan, but last week I did it in the crock pot.  Here are the pictures illustrating the slow cooker method.  Both turn out really well.  I had a lot of errands to do and a very busy day last week, so the crockpot was my dinner lifesaver.  This time we served it over some jasmine rice, but we like mashed potatoes with it too.
While your meat is browning, clean and slice the onion and bell pepper and place 1/2 of it along with some chopped garlic in the bottom of the crockpot.
Don't forget to deglaze the pan.  All those bits left in it are bits of goodness.  Keep your pan hot, remove any excess oil, add about 1/2 cup water or beef broth and using a spatula or wooden spoon ease up all the bits of carmelized fond to add to the liquid for your recipe.  It is what adds so much of the fantastic flavor.  Using your rubber spatula make sure you get every single bit of it.  It is so g o o d.
Place your browned meat on top of your first layer of onion and peppers.
Add another layer of onion and peppers on top of the meat and your can of tomatoes.
You can use a can measure of water to pour on top with your deglazing juice or a can measure of beef broth.  Put the lid on and let it go!  6-10 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.  ***see tip below

And here it is.
Ohhh.  Lots of goodness.

***TIP:The average crock-pot's temperature setting is 200 F for low and 300 F for high, although models will vary. Most food can cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours, although one can over cook a recipe, which I have done, myself!  So be sure you check it near the end of the least amount of time.

1 comment:

Sigie said...

Cindy:

What kind of meat do you use and do you dredge your meat in flour and the house seasoning. I thihk you forgot to tell us that.

Love.
Mom