Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Duffy Garden 2011

Today, we planted our garden.  Finally.  We are getting it in a little late for us this year.
Mike was at the tiller mixing up the dirt and compost we added.
Duff raked it smooth and stamped it down.

 Adrianne planting a tomato plant.  Beefsteak.  She has been so excited about the garden this year.  It is her first one.  I laid everything out and Duff taught her how to plant them.  This year we have: 1 Early Girl tomato, 3 beefsteak, 2 Roma's, 1 cherry, and 1 yellow plum tomato plant.

 The herb bed.
We figured out this year what we use the most of and planted those and left the others out.
Lots of cilantro, parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, chives, rosemary.  I put an upside down tomato cage in the rosemary.  I'd like to shape it into a cone topiary.  It would add a different design element to the garden.
 Center box.
Green onions, two green bell pepper plants in the back, 2 red bell peppers in the front, and pole beans in the center next to our owl.  He glares at the wildlife and lets them know not to come around!
One of my favorite gardening catalog/sites is Gardener's Supply.  That is where our tomato cages and pea fences come from.  They are sturdy and fold completely flat when not in use.  We have always planted bush beans, but just don't have enough room in our backyard garden for them.  This bean tower was tested and produced 1400-2000 beans from one planting.  So we decided to go vertical this year with pole beans.  
 
 Last, but certainly not least, we have to have our zuchinni.
Oh!  The soft buttery taste of a freshly picked and steamed zuchinni squash!  I could make my whole dinner of them.
It always seems like it rains whenever we first plant our garden.
It was such a cold day, and the drizzle began while we were finally cleaning up.
It's May Gray you know. 
Happens every year.

Now I want to try my hand at composting.
Gardener's Supply has some great ones.  I might start out small so I can figure it out and get some experience.  Anyone out there who can give me some pointers?

1 comment:

Lisa Tucker said...

The Garden looks fantastic! Great job!