Our Memorial Day was low key and good.
It was cold. Brrr. May Gray you know.
We bbq'd hamburgers and hot dogs. Had Seafood Pasta Salad, Watermelon, and amazing corn on the cobb. Mike grilled it in their husks. I'm usually a purist when it comes to corn on the cobb, but am slowly becoming converted to the grilled taste.
I departed from the traditional flag cake. Wanted something a little lighter and more simple.
I made a fruit tart. Some call it a fruit pizza...
I used my friend Victoria's recipe. It is the best I've had.
The kids wanted something other than the traditional vanilla homemade ice-cream too. So we did a strawberry version and it was amazing.
Recipes to follow.
THANK YOU to all those who have fought and continue to fight for our freedoms. I have really been into all the Memorial Day movies and programs the last few days. The Battle of Midway. Tora! Tora! Tora!, The Patriot, Patton, tv version of Band of Brothers. I have thought a lot about my Dad in the Korean war. Some of my uncles who were enlisted and fought in Vietnam. Grandpa-Great, Richard, who fought in WW2 and parachuted into Normandy. His experiences were crazy. The guns, the hand-to-hand combat. Being left for dead and thrown in a pile of dead servicemen only to be discovered alive as they went to put him in a body-bag! THANK YOU to everyone I know who has helped to maintain our liberties and to those I don't know as well. I am so grateful.

1 comment:
Amen!
Post a Comment