Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Garden Tips I'm Learning This Year

I worked in the garden most of the day today.  Some things needed to be cut back.  Mostly the herbs.  I've found this year that if I trim the basil kind of like I deadhead the rose bushes, it continues to grow back.  I washed all that I cut, layed it out to dry and then put it in small quantities in little ziploc bags with a bit of air in them.  After they freeze, I crush them gently with my fist and then I have fresh basil whenever I need it during the winter.  Linda taught me that and it really works! 

I have also been putting tomato paste into ice cube trays or in individual mounds and freeze them, then put them in small freezer bags.  When I need a tablespoon or two, I just grab one and it works wonderfully instead of having to open a can each time or buy the paste in the tube (which I really like to do, but it is expensive).

The rosemary is growing like crazy.  It is almost to the point where I can trim it into the large cone shape I have been training it into.  I put an upside down tomato cage in a clay pot with the same diameter with the rosemary planted in it.  I learned that the more you trim the ends, the more bushy it grows and then all you need to do is trim it to the shape you desire.

Christine and Adrianne have YW tonight.  It is the combined activity and the boys are in charge.  They are playing dodgeball.  Sigh.  The girls don't like that.  They boys and their leaders have promised that it will be fun this time!

No comments: