Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tupperware


Since we got home from Utah last week, I have been cleaning out the vacated college kids rooms, bathrooms, and closets. It feels soooo wonderful. They are clean and stay clean all day. It felt like a victory to take the trash bag downstairs and outside to the garbage can. Now I don't want to imply that they are dirty, messy kids--you moms know what I mean. The 'stuff' just seems to collect and not make it to the round file.

My goal was to finish the upstairs before moving to the downstairs. But one day when I was putting the clean dishes away, I came upon the 'tupperware' cupboard. In my house, the 'tupperware' (which is what we call all the plastic-ware for some reason, whether it be truly tupperware, rubbermaid, glad or ziploc...) just gets shoved in the cupboard. It seems I am constantly reminding to please stack it nicely and keep it organized, to which no one does. Since we had so many home for the summer, I quit fighting it, and just joined in the shoving, closing the door swiftly in hopes that none of it would fall out.

Well, the house was calm and silent and I decided now was the time to do it! So I pulled everything out, matched it all up with a lid (and if it didn't have a lid or a lid didn't have a container it was thrown out), and reorganized it. I was kind of surprised at how much didn't match and I threw away. Still plenty to keep though. Now all the lids are stacked in an organizer in order, and all the round containers are together, and all the square/rectangle containers are together. All the colanders of various sizes, and the salad spinner. I moved all the plastic glasses up with the glass ones. I used to keep them low so when Christine was a toddler she could get her own glass for a drink without climbing on the counter. Well, she is 12 now. She's been able to reach the glass cupboard for several years already! The family is still trying to get used to that move and I hear groans when they go for a glass, but they'll get there!

This morning when I washed up the breakfast dishes, I put the leftover pancake batter in a 'tupperware' and closed and opened the cupboard again just to admire my work and rejoice that it has stayed that way for at least one week---so far!

1 comment:

Berta said...

I KNOW just what you're talking about - been there, done that . . .and it DOES feel good! Now, come on over to my house!