It's raining and cold this morning and I just couldn't resist some Cream of Wheat for breakfast. If I had a choice between this and oatmeal, I'd pick oatmeal for sure, but I saw this on the shelf and thought, "Gee, I haven't had this in a while and it's a good morning for it."I cooked it in the microwave instead of on the stove in a pot where you have to really watch it and stir carefully so you don't get lumps. We have come a long way since the 60's in preparation!
The commercial jingle came rushing back to me as if time turned back and I was 5 or 6 again. My mother sang this to us every time she made it and we had to learn it to sing along with her! Maybe it was her way of getting music into our mornings or convincing us that it was the best cereal ever.
Cream of Wheat is so good to eat,
And we have it everyday.
It makes us strong, so we sing this song
It make us shout hooray!
It's good for growing children,
And grown-ups too to eat,
For all your family's breakfast,
You can't beat Cream of Wheat!
The tune's been stuck in my head all morning and the cereal stuck to my ribs as well. It was after all delicious!
3 comments:
i LOVE cream of wheat. i would pick it over oatmeal. and josh and i were just laughing because we love it when it's lumpy. i might need to get some the next time we go to the store!
Cute memory. I detest cream of wheat.. not the taste the memory, of scrubbing the stuff out of the pot and bowl that my dad left in the sink EVERY day and we kids got to wash. Nana did get Jonah hooked on it when they lived here and he loves it. We will now think of your memory and Jonah's instead.
I prefer Malt O' Meal over them all! And sometimes I like the lumps too. Hee Hee.
Post a Comment