Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Thursday, February 28, 2008

New Beginnings


Tonight was New Beginnings for Christine. It was great! Each girl and her parents got a 'summons' from the DMV in the mail a week ago to 'appear' for some 'testing'. When we got there, each girl was given a 'number'--you know--the dreaded number you get and then go sit down and wait FOREVER for your turn.

There were skits, introducing the new Beehives, talks, songs, etc. Christine was in one of the skits. Sister T. called out her 'number' from a megaphone in the RS room and I swear, it was just like being at the DMV! Chris went up and answered a question from the Personal Progress 'test' and had to explain her answer. (She had been briefed and practiced beforehand...). Then she had to answer another question: We talked to your mom and asked her who is the better driver--her or your dad? Christine's eyes got very big and she glanced over at us to see if we would give the answer away. Nope, we just smiled on. She finally said, "Well my mom's the BETTER driver, but my dad's the FUN driver!" Bingo! Correct answer! Yes, I said I was the better driver because dad drives too fast! Everyone had a good laugh!

Oh--the DMV isn't just about cars. It stands for the DEPARTMENT OF MANY VALUES. Very clever. They decorated all in the 'cars' theme and our refreshments were served on red, yellow, and green plates like a traffic signal. Very cute.

Sister T. gave a good talk on the origin of the current YW Values. For all the years I have served in YW, I had not picked up on this before but it's spot on: The first three values have to do with our IDENTITY: Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth. The next have to do with our DEVELOPMENT here in mortality: Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works, and Integrity. I've asked for a copy of the talk. It was excellent.

So, on to a brand New Beginnings of Young Women for Christine!

No comments: