Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Friday, February 22, 2008

George Washington & The Clean and Purge Continues!

Today is the birthday of George Washington, the first president of the United States of America and often referred to as the Father of our country. This is one of my favorite pictures of him kneeling in prayer asking God to direct him and help him in the battle for religious freedom. The birth of our nation paved the way for the gospel to be restored and the Book of Mormon to be translated. It was divine and the Lord's hand was in every part of it. He was a 'homebody'. He built a lovely farm which he named Mount Vernon, in Virginia. I have been there and there is a tangible feeling of peace there. It is right on the river. I can easily see why he longed to be there whenever he could. Unfortunately, he was gone a lot molding the country and fighting for freedom from the British rule. He was a loving man. He died at his beloved Mount Vernon of a throat infection in December of 1799. The nation mourned him for several months. He was a man of character and devotion.





Ever since Jeaneen has passed away and the wedding is done, I find myself going through rooms and cleaning, straightening, and throwing out. Now my house is NOT dirty or messy--but I'm going through things that just accumulate over time and you just close the cupboard door or shut the drawer and think "I'll do that later!". I don't spend my whole days doing this. But all of a sudden I'll look at something with fresh eyes and think how did that get like that????

So today I started with the cupboard in the laundry room with all the school supplies in it. That then led to the pencil/pen/junk drawer in the kitchen since they share common items. By the time I was done I'd gone through the whole bank of cupboards over the sink in the laundry room and boy do they look fabulous! And you can find exactly what you need in the drawer in the kitchen!

Two days ago, I cleaned out the garage refrigerator. It was a bit desperate I'm sad to say. It acted as the floral frig for all the bouquets and boutinerre's for the wedding and all the fruit. But it is 'clean as a whistle' now.

We continue to have rain and drizzle. It really poured during the night last night. Mostly intermittent and drizzle today with another storm coming in tomorrow. They are forecasting rain for the Academy Awards and the Red Carpet is covered with awnings. It will be interesting to see how they pull it all off. Or maybe the weather will cooperate in the end. After all--This IS the land of palm trees and fair weather!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good Job! We also have "junk" drawer and somehow it seems to creep into the other drawer next to it and down into the cupboards as well. It feels great when it is clean.

Berta said...

Keep talking, I'm getting the urge to join you! Purge . . . especially after eating those M&M's I just ate . . . j/k, j/k, j/k! The closets and cubboards are calling my name. Sounds like you're getting back on your feet from the crazyness you've gone through. Keep in touch - I miss you.

Cindy said...

It's contagious. Once you get started you keep noticing other things. It sure feels good.