....but what a day! I should definitely sleep good tonight!
Grandma decided she wanted to try and go with me to run errands. We rarely get to spend any one on one time together and this was a treat. She felt better this morning and was determined to get out of the house. I was a little concerned about her doing too much too soon, but she kept assuring me she was up to it.
There was a lot on the list. Once you go down the canyon you need to make sure you hit everything on the list so you don't have to go back down. This little town up here is growing, but doesn't have it all, which is not necessilarily a negative thing. We love the small town feel, but it does mean you have to plan to do errands.
Off we went at 10am-ish. Chilly, icy ride down the canyon. I learned something new about our car: the outside thermometer tells you if the road has ice, snow, etc. That was cool! We listened to Christmas music. My mom instilled in us a deep love of holiday music. We have our favorites.
Stops on the list:
- Borders bookstore. Looking for a bday gift for Christine and the Dan In Real Life movie. Mom found the present, no movie.
- Williams-Sonoma. A favorite of the Davis women. Not that we shop there on any kind of a regular basis--pricey--but you just feel good when you've walked through it all and taken it all in. We do have some kitchen items from them that were well worth the cost. We took our time, savoring it all. This is in an outdoor shopping center and when we parked the car and opened the door the smells of holiday foods wafted outside to greet us! They know how to 'get ya'. Of course it was all decked out for Thanksgiving. I got the turkey gravy base that I splurge on for our Thanksgiving dinner and the soap/lotion sets for the kitchens downstairs that I needed. We sampled a delicious dressing recipe, cranberry relish, pumpkin peanut brittle, peppermint bark, mulled apple cider, and a pecan pumpkin butter cake that was to die for! We got the recipes for the dressing and the cake and splurged on a can of the mulling spices. I don't think I'll actually use them for cider, but to simmer on the stove. The aroma is intoxicating. Off to...
- Roberts craft store. I was on the hunt for ribbon for the family craft. Of course, Grandma was in heaven. Those are her kind of stores. She and Lisa and Sue have the crafty genes. They did not get passed to me. I am a structured, methodical, copier type of crafter. My mom gets into a store like that and her imagination just runs. You can see the wheels turning. Not a great selection of ribbon. I had something in my head and didn't see it. So, off to...
- Michael's. Yay! Found the ribbon I was looking for. Glue sticks, battery tealights, embroidery hoops, embroidery needles. Next stop....
- Distribution Center. Duff and I needed some 'unmentionables'. Next door is....
- Deseret Book. Got the Christmas books for the kids. Each year I get them a new one. One day they should have a nice collection, hopefully. My platinum account was messed up so they fixed that by combining all our random accounts and I had a lot of points which made the cost go way down. That was exciting. I found a great gift for Duff for his Christmas present, so that is now done. I was so excited with the find. The phone rang and it was Natalie, so...
- Beto's. We were starving. It was 2pm and we hadn't eaten since the morning. We split a bacon breakfast burrito from the drive-thru, while on the way to...
- Natalie and Roberts apartment. Grandma just had to see where they were making their first home. We stayed only about 15 minutes. Robert was at work, and she was packing to come up for the weekend. It is a really cute place and they have it very cozy and homey. The clock was ticking and we headed for...
- Costco. By this time we were both dragging. Got my second wind. Grandma was mesmerized by all the ribbon and decorations and that gave her her 2nd wind! I stuck to the list. We did, however, go down every aisle, dream and comment. They packed our boxes so heavy that we couldn't load them in the car, and a really nice man walked by and loaded our goods for us. Back up the canyon for...
- Cabin. It was now 5:30pm. Everyone helped us unload and we put it all away, made tacos for dinner, and watched Brooke and Derek take home the mirrored ball trophy as the winners on DWTStars. Grandma was showing me all the family pictures she brought for me to help her with and all of a sudden she wasn't making ANY sense. Grandpa came over and asked her if she had taken her 'pill' the doctor has her on for her fybromyalgia to help her sleep. She had and she was loopy! He was barely able to get her down the stairs. She was totally not making any sense and provided us all with some light entertainment! She will most likely not remember a thing in the morning. It's good she can laugh at herself.
1 comment:
OMG, look how late it is and your still awake after that long day! Cindy, I love the stories. Mom is so funny when she hasn't taken anything, I can just imagine her last night. Hope you all have a nice Thanksgiving and I'll always remember those spent with your family when we were younger. Love Williams-Sonoma's goods and yes they are a treat to have even if it's only a few items.
Hi Mom and Dad. Love you!
Love to all,
Linda
Post a Comment