Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hand Written Letters

It's been a great day. Beautiful blue sky, no clouds. But way too hot for November for me! There's just something wrong when it's 90* in November.

Got up and put the brisket in the oven. Got out the door for church.

The RS lesson was so uplifting. It was on letters that Joseph Smith wrote to Emma. I'll bet he never thought they would be in a lesson manual one day! And yet here they are. I gained so many insights from them. What a tender, thoughtful man. Good father. He was probably gone more than he was home, and yet there is no question as to his devotion and love. It lent many insights into Emma as well. I also came away from it with an appreciation for the trials they faced since we have experienced persecution the last few weeks after the election and how they supported each other in them. A phrase, sentence, words of encouragement however small mean so much and can strengthen commitments.

In our day of technology it is easy to forget how much a handwritten letter or note means. Think about it: what is the first thing you open when you get the mail out of the box? You leave the bills for last and jump for the letter or note! Right? They didn't have our quick communication capacities back then, but I'm impressed with Joseph's ability to know just what would make Emma be uplifted.

Home. Dinner, which was soooo good. Haven't had that dish in a while. It was in the freezer and so I used it. I'm trying to be more creative in using what I already have. Kim K. came over with my Enrichment night stuff so she could show me how to do them since she asked if I could help tomorrow night. I was really excited. When she left I dove in and got them ALL done. It makes me feel like I'm more prepared for Christmas since they were all gifts. Then off to take Christine and Amanda to Sing Noel practice. From there I went and visited with a shut in friend and took her some visiting teaching things. She writes to all the sisters in the letter district each month. She does a really good job and she likes feeling like she can contribute and have a calling. Then to Jamie's so she could show me how she does her banners. I am in charge of the family craft this year for Thanksgiving and we will be doing these. They are so cute!

Home. Put some cookies in to bake, flipped through the channels and saw The Notebook was on. It had already started, but I finished it out. It dawned on me that this story is 'hand written' in a journal kind of like the Joseph and Emma letters..... I could watch that over and over.

I should mention that there are fires again. Fortunately not too near us this time. Threatening fire really scares me. I feel so badly for those who have lost their homes and so much of the earth scorched by the wind-driven flames. Darn those Santa Anas that dry everything out and blow like the devil.

No comments: