3-4 lb. pork roast or port tenderloin
1/2 - 1 cup water
1 Tbsp. salt
Pepper to taste
4 small cans chopped green chilies
1 28 oz. can green chili enchilada sauce
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 bunch of cilantro, washed and chopped
1/2 - 1 cup drippings from meat
Cook the pork in a crock pot with 1/2 - 1 cup water, salt, and pepper overnight on low. Remove the roast, reserving the liquid. Shred the meat and place back in the liquid in the crock pot. Add the remaining ingredients and let simmer on high for an hour covered, then uncovered for a couple of hours to reduce the liquid and allow the mixture to thicken. Stir occasionally and watch the consistency. Since the meat will be spooned into tortillas, it should have the thickness of a stew. If the mixture starts getting too thick, add additional drippings and/or cover it. If the mixture is too thin when ready to serve thicken with a little corn starch.
To Serve: Place a large spoonful into a warmed flour tortilla and wrap. OR quick fry some corn tortillas just until they are brown around the edges and easy to bend. Drain on paper towels. OR if you prefer a chimichanga style burrito, place the wrapped tortilla in a frying pan with a small amount of oil, shortening, or butter and brown on both sides.
This is from The Worldwide Ward Cookbook page 112.
Tips: I keep it covered most of the time, taking the lid off for the last hour on high. I don't know why, but I always have to add more water. My family prefers the corn tortillas, shredded lettuce, cheese, and a few beans.
These are REALLY good!
ps: the gal who submitted this recipe is from Surprise, AZ, and gives this to her neighbors for their Christmas gift!
1 comment:
What's her name?!?!? I may know her! I can't wait to try this!
Post a Comment