Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Some People Are Just Good.


Our ox was in the mire. Tonight after dinner Grandpa and I went to town to get Grandma some otc meds. She was not in a good way. Midway is a tiny town and hasn't had a grocery store. Until now. The Store (it's real name) has been under construction since the summer. Locals are thrilled because now we don't have to go all the way into Heber to shop or rely on the 7/11 at the gas station.

There were cars in the parking lot. The lights were on. Grandpa and I parked and went in and got our cart. We ooh and aahed over how quaint and cute this market is. We quickly found the first aid/medical aisle and got what we needed. All of a sudden a man came up to us and said, "Hi folks. I don't want to burst your bubble, but we're not open." I said, "Oh. I didn't realize it was closing time. I'm sorry." He said, "Well, we don't open until Tuesday!"

Uh-oh. The realization that we would have to go to Heber hit me right away, and I felt more tired than I was. Another man came over then and we chatted about how cute the store was and just little polite conversation. You know. Grandpa told them how sick Grandma was and that we were from out of town. They truly felt bad for us. Then I asked if we could just pay cash for what we needed????? They looked at each other and at the things in our cart. The 2nd man added up the sum in his head and told me it would be $10. What? Only $10 for the things in our basket? Yes. And he threw in 2 bottles of hand sanitizer. I gave him $10 and they sent us on our way.

Some people are just good.

1 comment:

Linda Lu said...

How touching and what a relief that you didn't have to drive any further.

Give my love to mom and the rest of the family. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and ooh that baby is just darling.

Love ya!