The moisture and cooler air has returned and it feels soooo good!
I have a friend who is dieing. She has a terrible disease. Duff and I went to the hospital to see her today. She is pretty close to death and on a ventilator right now. When I walked in the room and called her name she spread her fingers out on her left hand reaching for mine. I grabbed that hand so quick and she squeezed. Just faintly. But it was a squeeze that she sustained for as long as she could. I squeezed back, gently. Spirits connecting.
I sat there with her while Duff went with her hubby to the hospital cafeteria so he could get some lunch. I talked for a while with her listening. Then I could tell she was tired, and I just sat there holding her hand. All the while the nurses doing what needed to be done.
We can do so much medically. She may even rally a time or two and might even be able to come home for a bit. But in the end, this disease is going to take her.
After that, we went to Costco and did the quarterly shopping. I won't need to go back for groceries until after the first of next year. I sure like that. Just fresh and miscellaneous items from the local supermarket. We are planning a winter garden. We've never done one before. We'll see how it turns out!
I just kept thinking about my friend in the hospital. Fighting to live and here I am healthily shopping and going on with the dailyness of living. I think about that a lot lately with our cousins passing away recently too. Life is fragile. More fragile than we realize. But I think the biggest thing I ponder about is that life is ongoing. Just not here.
God's plan of happiness is real. It's not just some made up, feel good story. We lived before we came to earth, we are here to prove ourselves and make and keep covenants, and we continue to live after this mortal experience. How am I measuring up?
Natalie had her weekly o.b. appointment today. The baby is still measuring large--we already knew that! You can tell from the pictures I took of her belly. But Robert is 6'3" and was a 10 pounder at birth--and if she doesn't have him by the 15th, they will induce. Wahooie! He is almost here!
Christine is coming down with a cold and Duff's asthma is flaring. My eyes are itchy. Ah. Fall!
1 comment:
Funny we are miles and miles apart and having the same experiences. Thanks for sharing. Love you!
Oh, and I thought I would share, my word verification to leave this comment it "mastr". How appropriate!
Post a Comment