Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Monday, November 15, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Cake

Not to be confused with Pumpkin Crumb Cake!

I love pumpkin.  I love them on my porch.  I love them in a garden, although I don't have enough room in the city to grow them in my garden.  I love them on a table, in an arrangement, artificial ones that look almost real and make everything festive in the fall.  I love pumpkin pie.  It is one of my favorites.

This was served at the bridal shower last week.  I asked my friend, Allison (the hostess) for the recipe.  She graciously emailed it to me and shared that she got it over 20 years ago from The Friend magazine!!  I remember when they used to include child friendly recipes for the kitchen.  Most of them were really good.  If you like pumpkin pie you will love this.  If you're not a pie lover then you just might love this because it combines the goodness of a cake with the texture of the pie.

Crust:
1 box yello cake mix--Save out 1 cup dry mix for topping
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 egg, beaten

Mix crust ingredients.  Spread out on bottom of 9X13 pan

Filling:
1 can (29oz.) pumpkin --not pumpkin pie mix
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk

Stir filling ingredients until blended and spread evenly over crust.

Topping:
1 cup reserved dry cake mix
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened

Mix topping ingredients together using a pastry blender and crumble evenly over the top of filling.  Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes.  Check after 60 by inserting a knife into filling.  If it comes out clean it is finished baking.

Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream.

5 comments:

Meredith said...

SOOO good!!!!

Lisa Tucker said...

Yummm! I am going to make it this weekend. Thanks. It looks yummy!

Rachel Ricchio said...

that's funny. this recipe is almost exactly similar to the pumpkin cake squares that we make a williams-sonoma. use our pumpkin butter instead of the pumpkin. it's amazinggg.

Cindy said...

Rachel--I knew that's why I loved it so much! That WS dessert is awesome! How are you these days?

Rachel Ricchio said...

im so good! extremely busy with work and school, but trying to enjoy the holiday season! i love keeping up with your family on your blog!!! seems like you all are doing well :)