Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Monday, April 7, 2008

America's Funniest Home Videos

....and the grand prize goes to: Mother Falls In Broken Hammock!
Well, this afternoon I had just switched over a load of laundry from the washer to the dryer and looked around and was satisfied that everything was pretty well in order. So I decided that I would take my book and go outside for some reading time in the hammock. I was soooo close to finishing Mistaken Identity.

Last October when we had the Santa Ana winds and subsequently the fires, our rope hammock was destroyed. Last month I found this one at Lowe's and Adrianne and I put it on the frame. What we didn't count on was that the frame was old and rusted underneath.

I've been on it many times since. So imagine my utter surprise when today as I layed down on it and had the dog on my lap and my book in my hand it fell to the ground! Darla went flying up in the air to the right, the book to the left--just missed the dirt-- and I went straight on to the ground landing on the under bar and the side pole came crashing down across my shins!!! Yes, if there had been a camera around it would have been quite the scene!!!


I layed there for a minute and decided nothing was broken, I just kind of hurt all over. Then I started laughing, rolled over and got up. My legs were throbbing. I came in the house and grabbed two bags of frozen vegetables from the freezer, sat down on the couch, and iced them. I got some more reading done in spite of it all or actually because of it all. I couldn't get up for a while as new aches and pains came to light and the bruises were already starting to color.


My current best friend! (and now it's off to Lowe's for a new frame!)

3 comments:

Berta said...

Ohhhhhhh nooooooo. Sorry, but I had a GREAT laugh over this until I saw your legs - not so funny! But, everything is always funny in 'hind-sight'. I think you'd get much better results from CODINE! Get better and BE CAREFUL. BTW: what's with the green grass - smartalic!

Cindy said...

Yeah, sorry about showing off the green grass. It's pretty isn't it? It will be you SOON!

The fall hurt a lot. But as I layed there assessing how hurt I was, I figured I could laugh or cry. Laughing made it much better--and yes the imagery is really quite FUNNY! 51 year old menopausal woman in a broken hammock! Can't you just see it now? Glad you had your chuckle for the day!

Jamie said...

I can't believe it! I'm so sorry. I hope you heal quickly and I think it's great you were able to laugh about it.