Okay--Christine's orchestra has been planning a festival trip to northern California for months. It was presented to us parents, and we paid for, that we would be going on chartered, safe busses for the 8-10 hour trip. I am going as a chaperone. I got a call from her orchestra teacher last night during dinner that for a variety of reasons the students will now be going on school busses.
The only reason I got a call was because I am a chaperone. There has been no communication, email, letter, flyer, phone, etc. about this. These issues presented themselves 2 weeks ago. He told the students during their 6th period class yesterday and we are supposed to leave on Friday morning. Now, what 12 and 13 year old goes home and gives complete information to their parents like that?
There are no seat belts, no neck protection, not enough cargo space for luggage and instruments. The kids were told they would probably have to keep their duffle bag with them on the bus.
I think they should cancel the trip. Or I should drive? Hopefully nothing would happen, but you never know. I am frustrated and disappointed that the school and program has made no communication with the parents. The kids may be their students, but they are our CHILDREN!
What do you think?????
9 comments:
Tell the school to cancel the trip. This is a big liability as there are no seat belts no bathroom facilities on the school bus, no air conditioning etc. Plus you spent a lot of money for the tour buses. The school is out of line. I am upset. Let us know what happens.
I called Bob to see what he thought and he said that you ought to 'ban together' as parents and complain - that's the only way you can get the trip cancelled - especially where you were told you would be taking a charter bus and you've paid for the bus - don't just 'lay down' and accept their decision - but get some parents together and approach the issue. However, our kids have gone on many trips on school buses and long, long trips. Bathroom issues are hard to address - the bus HAS to stop whenever someone needs to 'go'!
I would not blame you for wanting to drive or not go--they should have told you sooner. Every time our band went to Disneyland to preform (only six hours) we took charter buses.
I agree!! You paid for a charter bus...where did that money go? And the school buses don't work AT ALL for a trip of that length. So many issues...safety, bathrooms, luggage space, no A/C. I think the others are right though...you have to get more parents involved and ban together to make something happen! Good luck!
Don't even get me started!! This is wrong. I would be down at the school district in a heartbeat and would not leave until something was done about this issue. You know me! Talked with Uncle Craig the retired police office he said no way!! The liability is huge! Not to mention he would worry. You know how he is about his little Christine. The "Ban together" is a fantastic idea! Go Cindy!!! I am with you. I can make a phone call if you would like. You know how I can be on the phone. Keep us posted!
The whole situation is crazy. Have you called the principal?
WHAT HAPPENED? Keep us posted!
This is ridiculous! we always took charter buses if we had to go far away. When we went to Union City we got charter buses. Pretty dumb of them actually to use unsafe school buses.
That is Bull S*** I would give the my attorney name and number and advise them that if anything happens the school district will be sued until they bleed adn that you will not settle we will go to trial. They stole money from the parents of the school kids plus the liability issues are crazy. Even if nothing happens you deserve your money back.
Post a Comment