Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Pot Pies


Last time I 'checked'--several YEARS ago--no one in my family would eat a chicken pot pie. I have to say that I LOVE them. We ate them when I was growing up. It was an inexpensive way to have your protein, veges, and carb all in one. It was comfort food. I remember they were 25 cents and the best ones were by Swanson. On rainy days they were a great after school snack.

To my surprise when I was making out this week's menu, the family said what about chicken pot pies? My eyebrows raised and my head cocked to one side. Hmmmm. I wasn't even sure you could buy those anymore. I don't frequent that part of the frozen food aisle. But I put it on my list.

Imagine my delight when there were so many to choose from! I split the decision between Stouffer's and Marie Callendar. We decided that we prefer the Marie Callendar. The house smelled amazing while they cooked! We added a green salad and had a scrumptious dinner. Who knew?
(...and I was very glad not to have to cook a whole meal. We are all kind of 'tired' today after yesterday. It took a lot out of us. Time to regroup. Lots of protesting going on in the streets and on tv. Moving on to Christmas shopping, laundry, and cleaning out the next closet on the list!)

9 comments:

Robert said...

Chicken pot pies are great

Jamie said...

I love chicken pot pie!

Lisa Tucker said...

You guys can have Chicken pot pies. I have not found one yet that I like!! I just can not eat them. Than they have peas in them and I am not a pea person! I am glad they where good for you. I just can't!

Linda Lu said...

OMG(Gosh)! Love them. Chicken Pot Pies are so delicious! I have found one called Willow Tree (a bit expensive), they have no veggies in them, just the sauce and huge chunks of chicken. Great on top of toast on a rainy or snowy evening.

Kristin said...

I LOVE them too! Even the simple ones like Banquet brand! Yum!!!!

Nic said...

i love chicken pot pies! and yes, you can't beat marie calendars for that. i think i even have a couple of them in my freezer now!

Sigie said...

Daddy and I love chicken pot pies and it is true, back then when you were growing up Swanson's was the best with a tossed green salad with Italian dressing on it and a little cranberry sauce. Lisa didn't care for them because she did not like peas. Greg ate them too but they were not his favorite and thing to eat. Dad's and my favorite chicken pot pies are still Swanson's but we do love Marie Callendars just as much, they seem to have a little more filling in them.

Lisa Tucker said...

Someone make a me good chicken pot pie and I may entertain it. Are there any volunteers?

Linda Lu said...

Lisa, I'll try. I have a recipe that's very easy. I'll find it and send it along!