We decided to sleep with the blinds open to let in as much of the sweet, cool mountain air as we could. What we forgot, is that the sun wakes up very early in the mountains! So when it felt like it should've been 8am, it was really 5am. I rolled over and went in and out of sleep until I finally just got up around 7.
Fortuately the car started without any trouble as we headed down the canyon around 8:45. We picked up Addy at her sister's and then made a dash to the Sprint store to pick up a phone charger and then to BBB to get a flat iron since Christine had forgotten both 'essential' items at home. Now she can just leave them at the cabin and not have to take them back and forth.
Breakfast at the Village Inn. We thought we might try Kneaders, but didn't know if they serve savory breakfasts or just sweet. And since 2 of us had a hankering for sweet and 2 for savory, we decided on a place we knew did both.
The girls waiting for their start of the day meal. They were really excited for today to get going. I think I had more butterflies than they did. Christine and I both had a belgian waffle with strawberries and whipped cream, over-easy egg and sausage (her) and bacon (me). Duff had the Denver omelet (could've guessed that one...) and Addy the 2 egg breakfast with pancakes and hashbrowns.Down the 'diagonal'. Do they call it that anymore? That's how it was referred to 'back in the day'. Check in west of the stadium. It was so crowded I thought they didn't have a clue what they were doing, but I was proven wrong, because right at 11 on the dot, they cruised people through 3 lines of check in and the girls were done. Then a ride through a nearby neighborhood instead of the main streets (we've learned a lot of shortcuts from our football days), arriving at Heritage Halls to move in for the week. Man, did that bring back memories of living there when I was in college.
Christine's assignment.
Lanyard, Dorm Door, and the most important thing, her smile.
She unpacked her suitcase and Duff and I made her bed. She knew exactly where she wanted everything to go. Then we went to Addy's and helped her.
Addy is next door. The girls are in the same session, but not together. They have different roommates and counselors too. This way it helps them to learn to stand strong on their own, make new friends, while still having a bit of security knowing someone from home is nearby. ( Came back to the cabin. Duff got a nap, and I made the grocery list and puttered around until he woke up. Then we went to the market. We stopped at a local stand and picked up a watermelon and a dozen ears of beautiful white corn, which we had for dinner. THIS IS SO CRAZY: While I was walking down the aisle in Smith's I ran into Tristan Faulkner who moved earlier in the year from our neighborhood and ward! Of all places, in a grocery store in a little town. Her father passed away 2 days ago. All of her family has come in. The viewing is tomorrow and the funeral on Wednesday. She had just come from the mortuary and cemetary with her mom and sister making the arrangements. Tiffany, her niece, was with her too. I had been her visiting teacher for quite a while right after she graduated from YW. I gave Duff the list and he finished up the last items so we could all have a good visit. We laughed, hugged, cried, held hands. It was really good to see them all. They are all doing well in spite of the circumstances. Nice quiet evening with a lot of wind. I'm hoping it brings some clouds and another little storm...)

7 comments:
Ohhhhh, I want to go back and do it over ! ! ! She's such a cutie!
Oh my my! Christine is growing up so much. So gorgeous! We would have liked Taylor to have the EFY experience, but it is so expensive.
I am glad that you are here, and close. It is a comforting feeling to know that a cousin is close.
So much like your mom - you run into someone you know everywhere!
What a beautiful morning to start a wonderful experience at EFY for Christine. Sweetheart you are so beautiful and you have such a sweet apirit about you. We love you honey. Have a great time and make wise choices.
Love Grama & Grampa
Which Heritage Hall did they stay in? Was it one of the uppers or lowers? The pictures brought back such memories!
Lower. A. Richards. Right behind where I lived in Robison and to the side of where your mom lived in Rogers. Soooo many memories for me too! It looks pretty good considering how old they are. 3 generations now for us. Haha!
i only look better becasue of my tan that i got
that last message was from chris
Post a Comment