Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Oh, What Do You Do In The Summertime?

The days are lazy and the days are flying by.

Nothing newsworthy to note, I guess. Josh has been coming over after class to study and have Duff quiz him for the bar. 2 weeks left. I got daily things done and then worked on the laundry room. It is our 'catch-all' room. If it needs to be put away and you don't want to put it in 'its place', then it ends up in the laundry room. Everyone probably has a place like that. When I was growing up it was the dining room table.

I've been keeping a big box of school supplies since elementary school in one of the cupboards. Now that Christine will be in high school, she doesn't need dotted lined paper to practice her letters on, so that and a bunch of other things like it are going to the local elementary school. Math flash cards and laminated sight words went to JT. Sometimes I get side-tracked and think I need to keep all those kinds of things in case I need to home-school my kids or grandchildren. Kind of like emergency preparedness for education. But, I purged it today and left only the things that Chris will need going forward.

That action left cupboard space open for other things that have made their home on the countertop. The streamlined effect makes me smile. It may seem a small thing, but it feels good to have my house 'in order'. Not that it will stay that way, but I think it's the act of doing it over and over that is important.

I think of the scripture of a 'house in order', and of the temple. It is ALWAYS in order. If those are the patterns God wants us to follow, then I should practice on my house, physically and spiritually. Sometimes we only focus on the spiritual part, but they are linked.

Duff took down the very dirty kitchen sink blind and got it all spic and span out on the bball court. What a difference. Why don't we do that more often? And I spent quite a bit of time on the refrigerator. I took everything out, and washed the entire inside, and all the shelves and drawers in a sink of hot, soapy water and then put it back together. Ahhhh. I remember my mom doing that each and every Saturday after she came home from her weekly shopping. And then once a month turning it off and defrosting it to get all the ice off. Remember those days?! Before what we enjoy now. I can remember the advertisements for 'FROST FREE' refrigerators when they first came out. They were expensive. Now it's all they make.

Oh, and I did watch the Michael Jackson memorial service. All in all, I thought it was nicely done for a Hollywood service. I can't help but wonder how many people will always think of him now when they eat Kentucky Fried Chicken! It was nice to see and hear spiritual things. So many of his family and acquaintances believe in God and life after death.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I watched his memorial also. I kept thinking is Smoky Robinson mormon. His comments about this not being the end and that their is life after death. I thought it was well done. I cried especially at the end when his daughter wanted to say some things. I know he was creepy at the end but what an entertainer I loved his music. Such a tragedy.

Cindy said...

Les--So good to hear from you! What's going on these days, dearie?