Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Quilting Retreat--Day 3

Got to class around 8:50am so I could be set up and ready to begin at 9.
Each morning they had large loaves of homemade wheat bread with butter and jams.
It's the best wheat bread I've ever tasted, for sure.

Today's class was called It All Starts With A Square.
We had prep work for this before we came to be ready.  Remember the 9 baggies of squares I cut last week?

This is how they turned out!
Pretty amazing, huh?
I'm telling you, the teacher moved this class along very fast because we had to cut, sew, iron, sew again, cut again, iron again, etc. and we only had 3 hours to learn all nine squares/patterns.  I liked it and learned a lot.  Something that I've noticed and appreciated is that everyone is very helpful.  If I didn't 'get' something all I needed to do was ask.  Sometimes I was the one who understood something and a person more experienced than me might not have and I could help her.  I liked that because truthfully, I was nervous about being new at this hobby and being overwhelmed.

After class I stopped in at the local quilting store, Seasons of Home.  I'm frustrated with this wool applique not being secured to the center square.  I'm not experienced enough yet to hold and stitch at the same time.  I really regret not knowing the fusible web was an option.  I don't care about 'loft' at this point.  The shop had the answer for me.  Yay!  It is an aerosol can of spray adhesive.  I came home, set them all out on paper toweling and sprayed the backs.  You wait 3-5 minutes and the spray turns tacky.  It makes it easy to place and stays for several weeks so there is plenty of time to do the stitching.  The adhesive diminishes/disappears after that time period.  What a relief!  I also chose a new fabric for the sashing and backing.  The one they provided in the kit wasn't working for me.  Patti laughed and told me I was a quilter after all if I was changing fabric from a kit!
We shall see....!

When I got home this afternoon,  I put a small roast in the oven.  We will eat it tonight and have leftovers tomorrow.  That will make dinners easy with getting ready to drive back to California.


No comments: