Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Quilting Retreat--Day One

Today the Quilting Retreat kicked off.
When I arrived, you could feel the excitement in the crisp air.
Everyone was waiting outside the conference center for the doors to open so they could go in and get set up for the week.
I met up with the gals from home.  It was good to see everyone.

This is the conference center that was turned into all things quilty for the week.  The two ends were curtained off and used as smaller classrooms for individual classes.  The center area had tables, ironing stations, cutting stations, snack stations, and a mini store set up.  Each quilter had their own table large enough to pretty much accomodate everything they needed to for their projects.

Since I did not stay on site, I was not able to participate in the full experience. 
(Still don't understand how that works, just pro-rate the thing, but it's not up to me I guess.) 
Today, I took a knitting class.
It was really fun.
I haven't knitted since I was in Primary in the Firelight class.  It came back pretty well.  We are making a 'Potato Chip Scarf'.  It twists around and looks like a stack of Pringles when it's done.  Very cute.  Depending on the yarn weight, it will turn out differently.  Heavier yarn, thicker and wider.  Lighter weight, smaller and finer.  I learned that 'fingering weight' is baby weight yarn or sock yarn.  Those are small.  I got the stitches down and the pattern down just fine, but kept inadvertantly increasing my stitches.  I finally realized it and had to rip the whole thing out. :(
I got it going again and figured out what I was doing.  I wasn't making sure when I took the stitch from one needle to the next that the tension yarn over went behind instead of staying in front.  Ahhh.  I was so glad I figured that out.
The scarf is darling and it would make really cute, fun gifts.

I came home at lunch time.
Knitted the afternoon away.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

No comments: