Up and out the door for my next morning class. Today I needed to bring my sewing machine and all my quilting supplies: rotary cutter, cutting mat, etc.
I took a class called The Peony Wreath wall hanging. It is cute, but my reason for choosing this class was not so much about the end result project itself as it was about the different techniques used in it that I would learn.
I learned a technique called 'The Method' to make itty-bitty 9 patch squares that will be used as a border.
I learned to use freezer paper as a pattern.
I learned how to applique wool.
I learned sashing.
I learned binding.
The pattern called for us to use fusible webbing to secure the individual pieces of wool to the center square backing. Our teacher didn't do that because she likes the little bit of loft that wool gives if left alone just to stitch. For me as a novice, that isn't working. I don't have that experience. It's too late to use it now, so I will have to figure something out. It just seems like a lot of work to baste the whole thing or staple it. Next time, I will use the fusible webbing.
I went home today and finished up all the rest of the teeny-tiny 9 patch squares and laid out the wool pieces of the wreath. It looks good and I'm happy with how it's coming together.
Tonight, Duff and I met up with Dave Nicholls for some dinner at Tarahumara mexican restaurant in town. It was great to see him and we had a good visit. He came up to the cabin after and we visited for a while more.


2 comments:
I hear you're coming out next weekend. I would love it if you could show me how to make the squares, etc. to make a quilt! I have some really cute fabric that I'd like to use for an oversized couch quilt.
I would be happy to! They are SO easy once you get the method. I'll bring my book and we can photo copy/scan what ever you want in it too.
Post a Comment