Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

F. O. G !

Still having fog this morning. Pretty 'heavy' but not as dense as last night on the toll road. I'll bet it's very soupy at the beach!

Last night as soon as we hit the dense fog driving home I got an unfamiliar pit in my stomach. I went immediately back to being a little girl driving home on a Sunday night in the winter from my grandparents house in Manhattan Beach. We got to their home in the afternoon and it was a beautiful socal day. When we walked out to leave it was thick with fog. The kind that goes right through your body and chills you to the bone. Wet and heavy. We got in the car. I was sitting in the middle of the front seat in our station wagon between my parents. I have never been so frightened. My dad, who always made you feel secure and safe, was scared. He could not see to drive. We literally inched along the streets. You could not even see the signal lights until you were right at them. I was so afraid someone would hit us by accident and we would die. My brother and sister were asleep in the back seat oblivious to the conditions.

I prayed so hard. It was a very simple, little girl prayer. Probably the kind we should pray always. No fancy words, phrases, just straightforward and simple. I had complete faith that He could guide and protect us.

And He did. It was harrowing, even for my parents, but we made it home in safety. Interesting how this all came flooding back in a nano-second last night. It immediately made me feel at peace.

No comments: