Question: What do you think God is like?
Answer: When I was younger, I was kind of afraid of God. The whole 'what do you think Heavenly Father is going to think of you or about that?!' So I did what I did and kept the commandments out of fear and wanting His approval. I would remember those sections in the Doctrine and Covenants where He says how He is 'not pleased' with certain actions/people. As I've grown older I've slowly come to the realization that while I do not necessarily need to fear God, I don't want to disappoint Him, either. As a parent myself now, I know how very much I love my children. I'm frustrated and disappointed in them sometimes, but mostly thrilled beyond anything at the good they are and the good they do. I encourage them--sometimes not as kindly as perhaps God would because I so want them to 'get it' and succeed in mortal and spiritual things. I think God is much better in that than I am. I think His love is bigger than I can comprehend and He has much more patience. Of course, He knows the end from the beginnng and I'm not as secure about that being mortal. I think He is quick to forgive, quick to love, and our greatest cheerleader. I think He gives us lots of chances until hopefully we can get it together. (the atonement) I think He has rules, just like every good parent and he expects us to follow them. He has blessings and consequences. He is Perfect. I'm obedient now more out of love for Him and gratitude.
No comments:
Post a Comment