Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Jammin'--Part 2

Tonight was our RS Activity Night.
I taught how to make strawberry freezer jam.


When they first asked me to do this class, I thought it would be one of a few classes offered that evening.  When they passed out the flyer a week ago, I realized I was the class.  That put a little different spin on how I would carry it out.

Adrianne came and was my sous chef.  I couldn't have done it without her.  She kept everything behind the scenes going--washing dishes, mashing berries for the next batch, etc.-- while I was talking, demonstrating, and teaching. 

I set the alarm on my cell phone for every 15 minutes and when it went off, we had a name drawn for a prize.  Canning funnel, rubber spatula, pectin, etc.  The ladies loved it and we had a fun time.

We made 5 double batches of jam.  Enough for everyone to take home a half-pint and enough to have on some homemade wheat bread or ice cream. 

The gals had a nice time.  We had so many people want to try and make it on their own and they found it wasn't as hard as it seems.

I talked about gardening and canning and brought bottles of some of the other things we put up.  They were very interested.  We'll get freezer jam down, and then move on to peaches or pickles which are so easy as well.

I have to admit, I kind of like this interest in a return to some home food preparations and storage.  It feels good in this economy to walk out to your storage shelves and see your efforts.

No comments: