I've decided to go down the batch choices in alphabetical order now. That means that Georgia was next on my list of indexing.
The batch was neatly done and each column was completely filled out. Sometimes the census taker would use ditto marks and leave certain columns blank. Not this one.
All the families were farmers or laborers. Every single one. This county must have been all agricultural.
On another note: I received a 'report card' for my work. I have been 97% accurate on my indexing over all so far. Once I submit it, it goes to arbitration for a second look. I didn't know that, but had wondered if familysearch just took my word for it or if they had some way to check it. Checking it would make sense to me because of how hard some of the census records are to read. Being all done by hand back then means as many different penmanships as people. The good thing about this 'report card' from arbitration is that I can go back and see what I made a mistake on and learn from it. Some of my errors were silly mistakes, and others I learned from the handwriting analysis how some letters were written in 1940. It helped a lot.

No comments:
Post a Comment