I worked on the District of Columbia this morning.
I try to do my indexing in the mornings.
This batch was SO easy compared to some of the others. The handwriting was perfect, and it was cursive! This is in no way meant to be offensive, but my observations are that this was a very professional state and the penmanship and execution of the form reflects it. Everything was neat, tidy, no scribbles, and thorough compared to more agrarian areas. None of that occured to me until I did today's indexing. This area had the most diverse employment as well: salesman, chauffeur, statistcal clerks, printers, stenographers for the US Federal Trade Commission, auditors, clerks, secretaries for US Federal Reserve, florist, teacher, chiropractor, palentologist, superintendant of a publishing company, and an accountant for the US Treasury. There were also a lot of females who were heads of their households which has not necessarily been the case in most other batches I've done.
I got an email from familysearch.org thanking me for completeing my 10th batch. That's gone by fast for me. Just a little bit of time each morning. So far, I'm surprised at my feelings. I began this for my Personal Progress goal, but now I'm fascinated by the people and the areas they lived in and a little glimpse into how they lived. It amazes me how different we all are and yet connected by each individual contribution we make every day of our lives to each other probably without even knowing it.

No comments:
Post a Comment