We had a fairly good night. Woke up and it appeared that things were looking up. Still holding our breath, but able to relax just a little. Watered everything down again.
Just got a call from the RS president--and some people from our ward that live in Modjeska and Silverado Canyons are being evacuated to our house. Ironic that they are coming here and we all might have to go at another time! But that's just how this is right now. Evacuation sites are filled up! So Dan Rawson and Dodie Hargrove are on their way here.
During the night the fires moved away from the 133 and 241 toll roads, but in doing so they moved south and east (in our path....) and are devastating Modjeska and Silverado. Not as many homes/ranches so not as much media coverage.
I just talked to Duff and they re-opened the 133 and 241, so he drove them on his way to work. (He had to go, they have a board meeting tomorrow.) He says it is just BLACK and BARREN. The fire completely obliterated El Modeno nursery. It is a HUGE nursery that landscapers buy from. Acres, and acres, and acres of plants, trees, bushes, flowers, etc. charred. I will drive down there by the end of the week, I hope, and get some pictures to document. Several avacado groves, burned to the ground.
In San Diego, they have lost 700 homes in the last 30 hours and can't get control of the fire. They are fearing that it will burn all the way to the coast (remember the wind is blowing east to west--see blog further down on SAWinds). If it does, that means another 1000 homes lost.
They have opened up Qualcomm Stadium where the SD Chargers and SD State football teams play as an evacuation site. BYU is supposed to play there this coming Saturday. I will be very surprised it they do. I don't know where all the people would go! My sister, Lisa, told me this morning that the buzz in AZ is that they will transfer all the games to the Cardinals stadium in Phoenix. So AZ is preparing for that.
Just looked out the window and the wind has really kicked up again. I'm going to take a fast shower and get ready for my 'company'!
More later.....
No comments:
Post a Comment