Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I Love What I Do!

I'm tired. We've had a lot going on the last 8 months. We got off the plane yesterday, headed straight home and for the school and jumped right back into our California life. I sometimes wonder why God blessed us with these two different 'lives'. Right now it is a lot of back and forth. But there IS a purpose as He unfolds it to us little by little. So I had less than 24 hours to dive back into my VT responsibilities before the interviews started this morning. The presidency has helped so much to carry this off with my schedule. I am so grateful.

So this morning began. I really didn't want to go. I don't know why. Tired I guess. A little ornery I guess. My suitcase is still not unpacked. My mind was flooded with a lot of other things. But once I got there and sat down with the first sister, prayed with her and started, I was filled with the most amazing peace, joy, gratitude, LOVE, spirit. Thoughts, dialogue, impressions, counsel came. I just thought: Oh, adversary, you bugger! You didn't want me or them to experience any of this STRENGHTENING power that comes from the Holy Ghost!

OUR THEME this year is on the power of the Holy Ghost. What it is and how to use it to bless our own lives and those for whom we have stewardship. Our CHALLENGE is that they will pray for the sisters they visit every day in personal prayer. Pray for the spirit of discernment to know how to help them, love them, and serve them.

THE SCRIPTURE: D&C 84:88 (selfishly one of my favorites) "And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." The Lord didn't leave anything out. He will be in front of our face, our right, left, our hearts, and all around us! We will not be alone!

STORY: In early 1847, Brigham Young was ill at Winter Quarters. He had a dream in which he saw the Prophet Joseph who told him:

"Tell the people to be sure to get and keep the Spirit of the Lord. They can tell the Spirit of the Lord from all the other spirits; it will whisper peace and joy to their souls; it will take malice, hatred, strife, and evil from their hearts; and their whole desire will be to do good, bring forth righteousness and build up the kingdom of God. Be sure to tell the people to keep the Pirit of the Lord; and if they will, they will find themselves just as they were organized by our Father in Heaven before they came into the world."

QUOTE by Sheri Dew: (Read this slowly to absorb it) The Holy Ghost enlarges our minds, our hearts, and our understanding; helps us subdue weaknesses and resisist temptation; inspires humility and repentance, guides and protects us in miraculous ways; and gifts us with wisdom , divine encouragement, peace of mind, a desire to change, and the ability to differentiate between the philosophies of men and revealed truth. The Holy Ghost is the minister and messenger of the Father and the Son, and He testifies of both their glorious, global reality and Their connection to us personally. Without the presence of the Spirit, it is impossible to comprehend our personal mission or to have the reassurance that our course is right. No mortal comfort can duplicate that of THE Comforter. Said President Hinckley, "There is no greater blessing that can come into our lives than...the companionship of the Holy Spirit. And yet Brigham Young lamented: "We may have the Spirit of the Lord to...direct us....I am satisfied, however, that in this respect, we live far beneath our privileges"

Is it possible that in this twilight season of the dispensation of the fullness of times, when Satan and his minions roam the earth inspiring deceit, discouragement, and despair, that we who have been armed with the most potent antidote on earth --the gift of the Holy Ghost--don't always fully partake of that gift? Are we guilty of spiritually just "getting by" and not accessing the power and protection within our reach? Are we satisfied with far less than the Lord is willing to give us, essentially opting to go it alone here rather than partner with the Divine?


I feel so renewed! I'm still tired, but the happiness outways all the rest of it.

6 comments:

gwen and bob said...

What a lovely lesson!

Jamie said...

I loved doing VT interviews when I was in the presidency. There's something about meeting with a sister one on one and praying with them & for them. I'm glad it turned out well for you.

Kristin said...

Glad you could have that experience! What is a VTing interview? Is this something just in your ward? Never heard of it before.

Physcokity said...

I enjoyed the message! I haven't been by in a while, but this is something which I have been pondering on lately. Thank you!

Berta said...

"A M E N !", sista'!

Rachel Ricchio said...

things are going wonderfully! i finish school in december and then it's off to get the masters degree in nursing (cross your fingers!). i just love looking at your blog. it's great to keep up with the duffy family!